Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fighting fungus for high-humidity sundews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting fungus for high-humidity sundews

I have a terrarium that I'm keeping my Adelae in. The humidity is around 70% at all times (I also have some Neps in the terrarium). Whenever I feed the Adelae, however, the food will eventually turn into fungus on the leaves and burn the leaves a bit.

I use freeze dried bloodworms.

Is the only option to let the food stay on the leaves for a while and then remove them after a while?

The other terrarium I have my dews in doesn't suffer from this simply because the humidity is so much lower.

Thoughts? Advice?

For what it's worth, trying to keep the Adelae in lower-humidity environments hasn't worked well for me. They grow fine but produce little dew. In this current setup they are slimy, dewy messes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm seems like an interesting problem. I've heard that cinnamon kills fungus and doesn't effect plants much. Maybe you could put a pinch of cinnamon in with the bloodworm paste. Just an idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding a small computer fan to the set up will circulate the air and prevent molds from forming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ beat me to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very clever. I'm assuming we don't point the fan directly at the plants but instead just dangle in the terrarium to circulate throughout the terrarium.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I have a raised grate at the bottom of my terra with an air space and water below I came up with taking a 4" length of pvc tubing and hot-gluing the fan to the top of that. It blows down but moves air all through the tank. A crude photo but I think it gets the idea across:

If that doesn't work for you I would just stick it to the side and as you said avoid blowing it directly on your plants.
    Last edited by bluemax; 01-29-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    - Mark