Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera burmannii Propagation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera burmannii Propagation

Hello everyone,

A very interesting plant has come up in my collection from seed of a Giant Red form of Drosera burmannii. I am looking for ways to asexually propagate or clone this plant, because I have learned that self-seeding does not result in genetically identical plants. I have taken three leaf cuttings and have them sitting on a slurry of soaked live LFS. One was cut with a razor down the middle. Each cutting has as much of the petiole as I could get, as I've read that in order to be successful one must take leaf pullings. Does anyone have any experience propagating this species or any advice as to how I could make it work? I've received recommendations for chemicals like BA or cytokinins, but am looking for an easier method without the need of potentially expensive and hard-to-get substances.

Here's the plant I am trying to propagate, my coffee-flavored Drosera burmannii:

20130131_164129

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sundrew; 02-02-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it appears as if this coffee flavored burmannii was a result of a red crossed with a green burmannii? dont know if leaf cuttings are possible since the leaves tend to die before buds can form. however, worst case, i would try to purposefully self the plant. see if any coffee burmannii pop up, and use those for a future breeding program, and repeat the process until the coffee color holds true...

sorry, i cant contribute any substantial help.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Central Kentucky, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a brown d. burmannii? That plant is gorgeous.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it won't make genetically identical plants if you let it go to seed BUT. If it's a hybrid, it will still have the trait distribution similar to the original parents, you will likely get many similar colored plants; however, if it is just a seed grown from a red form, it is less likely to portray this color again. Keep in mind it could still happen, especially if you yield a lot of seed.

I would feed this plant a lot and get it plenty of light so you can have multiple flower stalks to experiment with in the future. I've never heard of a leaf pulling or flower stalk of drosera burmanii striking, good luck.

Hope this helps

-Dave

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, it was really neat finding something like this among the seedlings. This plant was more vigorous than its siblings by far (you can see a few of the others in that pic). I'm thinking this is not pure burmannii 'Giant Red,' but whatever it is, I like it a lot. I'll try my leaf cuttings and make sure to collect and sow a ton of seeds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm willing to experiment, throw a packet my way when you send the "Humpty-doo australia"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got your burmannii humpty doo to flower? Did you have to do anything special? Mine never flowers :'(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast