Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: coffee for drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting experiment.
    my hypothesis is that there shouldnt be any real discernible difference since sundews do not primarily use their roots for nutrient uptake but for hydration. the only drosera that i could see truly benefiting from coffee would be regia, which does uptake nutrients via the roots.

keep us updated!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Drosera in my Nepenthes pots and the Drosera in the Sphagnum cultures below that have all of the coffee drained into them don't react to it poorly. No browning or anything. They are growing quite well. It should work, and if not, it at least won't kill them. Just be sure to flush the pots (I don't change the water out in my sphagnum cultures very often, if ever).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update:

the capes are about 10% larger on coffee and the dragons are about 25% larger showing a visual improvement. one of them is actually making a seedstalk. rosetted dews seem to do well too......i will treat 1 more time in a few days and wrap up the experiment. will have a photo soon.

also while i didn't document it the coffee seems to show noticeable improvements for small seedlings that cannot feed yet. very useful for those of you who grow from seed or make your own hybrids.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpbobby View Post
    update:

the capes are about 10% larger on coffee and the dragons are about 25% larger showing a visual improvement. one of them is actually making a seedstalk. rosetted dews seem to do well too......i will treat 1 more time in a few days and wrap up the experiment. will have a photo soon.

also while i didn't document it the coffee seems to show noticeable improvements for small seedlings that cannot feed yet. very useful for those of you who grow from seed or make your own hybrids.
    Awesome! I'll have to use some coffee on my dews too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    far as the brew i used 2mlcoffee/1ml water mixture for that small container approx once a month.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick, random theory about coffee that is not related to Drosera growth but is still related to Drosera: Many plants have caffeine in them and it acts as a natural pest repellent. If this holds true and the Drosera absorb the caffeine from the coffee, would this deter prey? Just wondering. I have been thinking about using coffee on my sundew, butterwort, and flytraps, but this theory has made me hold back on it so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure caffeine only deters prey from eating the plant via taste. However, the insects do not get a chance to eat the leaves of sundews to find out how they taste. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    I'm pretty sure caffeine only deters prey from eating the plant via taste. However, the insects do not get a chance to eat the leaves of sundews to find out how they taste. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    That's true. I've heard caffeine only deters bugs from eating the plant. If that's true, well, it won't matter. If only it deterred BIRDS from eating it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast