User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basics on how to grow Drosera regia?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

things in the pic for size reference. Large pot. probably could use a larger one. Went with lighter color hoping it would reduce impacts of heat on the soil/root areas. I fertilize every few moths with a few pellets of a timed release fertilizer. Grows outside in unheated greenhouse. Temps can reach the 80s in the day but drop down to the 60's at night in the summer. Winter months they get high 30's low 40's over night low..... They are inside the greenhouse because they are sensitive to excessive amounts of UV light. they get sunburn and die in my area.

media mostly lava rock, might have added some orchid bark chunks. Based this on an article regarding media for tray watering for the regia. Tray water may not work with all media. might keep to wet and make roots unhappy. Top dressed with live sphagnum.

my climate condiitons are similar to Capetown, South Africa
    Last edited by kulamauiman; 02-13-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to hate this species. My typical and big easy were doing just fine and dandy.. then boom, insta-death for no apparent reason.
    I've grown regia with plenty of success over the past few years.
    Starting to think there's a lot of variation as far as tolerance levels from plant to plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Cephalotus is thriving in my current terrarium. If a Cephalotus does good, can I expect the regia to do well in same conditions?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think regia would grow fine alongside a ceph,mass don't throw the towel in ,you have the skills dude your plants are great,did you fert?
    Last edited by corky; 02-14-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    My Cephalotus is thriving in my current terrarium. If a Cephalotus does good, can I expect the regia to do well in same conditions?
    Ime, Cephs have a wider 'happy' range than D. regia (ie: they can grow well in temps that would make a regia too hot).

John Brittnacher wrote a nice tutorial on the ICPS site that is worth reading. There are also several other threads on D. regia if you haven't yet searched TF.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    mass don't through the towel in ,you have the skills dude your plants are great,did you fert?
    I'll never fert another sundew as long as I live. Learned my lesson the first time..
    The two plants were from root propagations. Which leads me to believe (since I've heard it before) that young regias tend to be simple up to a certain size. At which point they can unexpectedly crash out. Not sure if that's true in this case, or any other.. but I can't think of any other reason they'd crash since conditions were ideal, and consistent.
    I'll just do what I did last time.. toss the remains into propagation and start all over again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think what corky was trying to say was that regia likes ferts...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I'll never fert another sundew as long as I live. Learned my lesson the first time..
    As for considering D. regia like other dews, John B. writes (from the article linked above):
    It has even been proposed Drosera regia be removed from the genus Drosera because is it so unlike other Drosera except it looks like one. Knowing this heritage is important to a discussion about growing D. regia because in essence you can not assume you can grow it like you grow other Drosera.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast