User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basics on how to grow Drosera regia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basics on how to grow Drosera regia?

Howdy. I'm seriously considering getting a Drosera regia but there are some things I need to know first.

1) How much light does it need? I hear it needs partial sunlight, not full sun or full shade. About as much for a Cephalotus?

2) What size pot should I grow it in? This is apparently a big plant but my terrarium is only 12'' high (this keeps the grow light closer to the plants. I'm wondering if I keep it in a low 4'' pot, that would allow plenty of space for the leaves to grow up.

3) I hear it needs a temperature drop at night. Would a day time temperature about 85f and a nighttime temp of 72f be good?

That's what I have for the moment. Will have more questions later.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Strong light but not full sun, if that makes sense. Cephalotus is a good comparison.
    2) If you keep it alive, you will need a very deep pot as the roots are huge. With the right conditions, it will outgrow your 12'' terrarium very quickly.
    3) 72 at night is much too warm for regia. Again, the plant may live, but it will not grow well. For "really big" growth, this plant wants night drops similar to Nepenthes rajah and villosa, ideally in the 40s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize D. regia needed such odd conditions. I think that you need a different grow space in order to successfully grow this plant. You could grow different SA and ZA dews with ease.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mato has mentioned, they really need a deep pot to grow well. Given the height of the pot, a 12" high terrarium will probably not last long once the plant settles in. When they are happy, they throw out new leaves often with each successive leaf longer than the previous.

Basically:
    1) deep pots - I would overpot and give them space to grow since they do not like being repotted. Mine sulked for over a month before picking up again.
    2) well draining media - a mixture of peat, sand and hydroton works well for me
    3) bright light- mine are currently doing OK right under a couple of T8s but were happier under T5s.
    4) unlike other dews, regia will appreciate being fertilized. I use 4-5 pellets of osmocote on the surface of media.
    5) a day/night temp drop. I don't think a 20F drop is needed but is preferred
    6) if you want to see globs of dew, good humidity. I keep mine around 75% during the day.

Last edited by DonH; 02-12-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I've had luck with my seedlings (including having one come back after killing the growth point) with bright light, not full sun, a large airy pot top dressed with live sphagnum (this they especially seem to like), about 60-70% humidity, and temps ranging from about 75-80F daytime down to between 55-65F at night.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they will grow with room temps tho(70F).....prob not ideal but will not die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    So far I've had luck with my seedlings (including having one come back after killing the growth point) with bright light, not full sun, a large airy pot top dressed with live sphagnum (this they especially seem to like), about 60-70% humidity, and temps ranging from about 75-80F daytime down to between 55-65F at night.
    My regia dont really like it when i get to 80f.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine seems to grow well in only 50% humidity 65%ish at night have fertilized to the roots once a month with half strenght orchid fert ,i water mine from the top every couple of days,and its growing pretty well,also good amounts of dew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast