What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Planter

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever
My Drosera spatulata that I bought has now been in my possession for about a month. When I purchased it from my local nursery, it already had a wilted flower stalk, which I would assume will impact its future health. Now, after two weeks of my (hopefully) wonderful care, it's beginning to produce a second flower stalk. I would presume that it's already weak from being cultivated in a nursery and flowering, but the flower stalk looked really old.
The burning question here is: Should I let it flower again? :scratch:

EDIT: Actually, now it's making a third flower stalk.

Last edited:
Sure. Flowering doesn't affect most drosera like it can with other species. Spatulata flowers quite often.

Um, my sundew's going to flower in a few days. Does anyone have last-minute advice? :tumbleweed:

Do what you wish with the stalk. I personally don't find a reason to keep Drosera flowers as I never catch them open, so I cut them. Letting sundews flower (or not) will not cause damage to the plant. If you do let it flower, you could get seeds from the plant. 8)

I've heard that Drosera spatulata is practically a weed to carnivorous plant growers, since it flowers often, makes a lot of blooms per flowering, makes a lot of seeds per flower, and the seeds germinate easily. If that's true, I'm soon going to have lots of little stickies to take care of!

Mine sends up 4 stalks at a time with no ill affect.

Flower question: Is the stalk supposed to V into two stalks with buds on the ends toward the top? 'Cause that's what mine's doing.

Sounds like what mine do all the time. the flower stalks will split, then two will form with the buds further up. It's perfectly normal.

Um, my sundew's going to flower in a few days. Does anyone have last-minute advice? :tumbleweed:

So much for flowering in a few days. It's been a few weeks and STILL hasn't even finished unfurling.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE A DARN DROSERA SPATULATA TO FINISH UNFURLING THE DARN FLOWER STALK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:
I have had my D.spatulatas for 2 years and they still havent flowered... :( I have grown them from seeds.

I have had my D.spatulatas for 2 years and they still havent flowered... :( I have grown them from seeds.

Ah, the seeds. A lot of things can affect the outcome of seeds, like how fresh they were, what their parent plants are, what they were planted in, temps, light, etc. How much light do you give them and what do you water them with?

Back