Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twisty leaves!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twisty leaves!?

Recently this little problem has started again. On my cape sundews that are overall doing good (flowering prolifically, nice coloration etc...) they occasionally send up leaves that fold up or twist on themselves. Instead of having to "unhinge" one fold in the leaf at the transition point between petiole and lamina, the lamina is also folded once.
    Ive been having this problem for a little while now, but I havent been able to pinpoint the cause. Im pretty sure its not pests, I've gone through soil and plant with a magnifying glass to check for anything out of the ordinary.
    Other symptoms (maybe) include the flowers not opening completely.

Growing conditions

Watering: refill trays, when they're almost dry, to .5 inches or less.
    Pot size: 4.5 inches wide 4 inches deep.
    Soil: peat sand 1:1
    Water:distilled, rain, or RO only.
    Feeding: once every month, sometimes more if they catch an occasional moth or other bug.
    Photoperiod:16hr
    Lighting:48'' t8 bulbs (mix of warm/cool) about 3 inches from leaf tips. I dont think the lights are burning the leaves like they did before, this time even the beginning leaves are growing twisted.
    Humidity:low usually. Relative humidity in my area ~9%
    Probably a little higher than that over the trays, but definitely not above 20%.

How the deformed leaves look like when they are first forming

How they look like after they're done unfurling.
    Last edited by Homedawg76; 03-26-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they look perfectly healthy to me they look like they've caught bugs. If there are no bugs look for white fuzzy spots on the leaves, i've seen twisting like that come from mealybugs.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to my flytraps recently. Everyone says it's stagnant air or high humidity and stagnant air or low light or whatever. It's stopped happening for me, but for you it could have something to do with those. Probably it's the low humidity that's getting the best of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to look for crown or stem rot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, no bug in the traps that do this. No white fuzzy spots. Not stagnant air, i get good circulation. Possibly could be low humidity, but my other upright species are doing perfectly fine, its only the capes. They dont even do this all of the time, it seems to have fits, where every leaf it sends up is deformed, then the week after it sends up normal leaves. Doesnt look like stem or crown rot either.
    Could this be root rot? I've never had experience with root rot before so i dont know what happens with that. The roots sometimes go out of the pots and grow into the water in the trays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i Had the same thing on some drosera and others plants. The problem was the watering cycle. Too much water.

If your RH% is very high, water once or twice a week, from the top. Or repotting in something more airy.

Hope this help!
    Maiden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K, I'll try giving them a bit less water and see if that fixes the problem.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say that you have a mix of warm and cool color temperature bulbs. Cool bulbs have a color temperature nearest to sunlight--about 5,000-6,500 includes natural sun color temperature, whereas warm bulbs tend to be more in the range of firelight. Possibly it might be that they might not be getting the right kind of light. Plants need a certain color temperature of light in order to perform photosynthesis. From what I've gathered, only use cool white bulbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast