User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterlogged Drosera or Drosera growing in water......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waterlogged Drosera or Drosera growing in water......

I have spent a lazy day looking at many threads and pictures from many different forums and have noticed alot of Drosera species that seem to be commonly kept quite moist or even growing in shallow water. Is there a thread, article or information on which ones get grown as such. The only one I was familiar with was D rotundifolia, but I am noticing that there are far more than that.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Drosera should be grown sitting in water.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends mainly on the species and to a lesser extent your growing conditions (temperatures, relative humidity and media).

While actively growing all species need at least moist media (i.e. never let it dry out completely). This means standing water. A few like Drosera regia and some of the South American species do better without standing water - these seem to appreciate well-oxygenated roots and frequent top water helps. Drosera intermedia (aka the Water Sundew) enjoys flooded conditions. Drosera with a dry-hot season dormancy should not be watered during dormancy - it's best to let the media dry out completely although there are a few exceptions that tolerate/require some moisture. These include Petiolaris, tuberous and other winter growing Drosera. With rest it is usually better to reduce watering while dormant. With pygmy Drosera watering for most should be dramatically reduced when dormant.

Again much of it depends on your growing conditions and even the grower. As soon as somebody says "Don't grow Drosera regia in standing water" someone will say they grow theirs in water just below the media no problems. Of course the follow up question should be how long have they been growing their plants like this.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTR, I grew all of my Drosera in water trays and it about killed them. Most of them got root rot and they died back to literally nothing, but some like capensis and spatulata are starting to shoot out new leaves... So be careful not to grow them in too much water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!!! I know I only grow a couple species of Drosera and all, but come on. This is more what I was asking about, not whether or not to put CP's in a watering tray.

GROWLIST

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can find Drosera rotundifolia growing like that in the wild.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I am finding more and more growers that keep some of their species in conditions like that. I was just curious as to which ones or if it is acceptable to keep them all like that. Maybe we can talk about it some more at the LACPS meeting if you are going.
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. rotundifolia, D. intermedia, D. anglica, they all like flooded conditions, especially the latter two. Most sundews, however, do just as well or better without the flooding, and as we all well know, a lot would hate such treatment. Most northern temperate species do well like this, though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast