Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drosera hilaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drosera hilaris

How hard is it to grow this species? Is it as easy as any other south african sundew?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply: expert. This plant is very difficult to keep long term, with far stricter cultivation requirements than most.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finicky. Do not get the crown wet. If temps are too high, the plant will go dormant.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had great success growing it from seed but all perished within 6 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where did you get your seeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Simply: expert. This plant is very difficult to keep long term, with far stricter cultivation requirements than most.
    have you grown it your self and if so what are these strict requirements,i would not imagine its any harder than a tuberous dew ,or for that matter any dew that needs dormancy,its easy to kill them all,but that all depends on were you live and the environment,pygmy dews go dormant if too hot and dry
    Last edited by corky; 04-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    i would not imagine its any harder than a tuberous dew ,or for that matter any dew that needs dormancy
    If I am reading your response correctly, you seem to be stating that the difficulty level of growing all tuberous dews is the same. From what I've seen, that is not accurate - ditto for the comment on "any dew that needs dormancy". While any number of plants can have the same general growth requirements, the latitude that each individual species tolerates within the specific parameters of each requirement can vary widely.

A quick example of this is the Queensland sisters - all have the same general cultivation requirements and come from the same region.
    - D. adelae - robust weed - survives big box death cube environment
    - D. prolifera - less tolerant of poor conditions than D. adelae (media, temps, humidity)
    - D. schizandra - least tolerant of environmental excursions - only grown for multi-year periods by a handful of growers in USA (especially outside PNW)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fair comment Ron,but what is difficult for some is easy for others i am sure you would agree,this depends on the climate were you live,if i was put off too easy i would never of tried growing a number of plants ,millipede go for it whats the worst that can happen?to be an expert first you must experiment,i have looked around and some say very hard to grow and others say do not get it too hot ,we need to hear from some one who has had success,anyone out there?for all we know millipede might be able to meet its requirements ,if we knew what they are?
    Last edited by corky; 04-22-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast