What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. sp "South Africa" growers...Are these self fertile?

I grew out some seeds I received labeled D. sp "South Africa" that have recently flowered and produced some seed pods.

The only other Drosera that had open flowers at around the same time was D. spatulata 'Tamlin', but I cannot for the life of me remember if both had flowers open at the same time. Is it more likely I have a hybrid of the two now or is self pollination more likely?

D. sp 'South Africa' is indeed self-fertile. Congrats on the seeds!

Well that was quick! Thanks Drew, I tried to look it up 1st but there's very little info about this "species(?)" for the large amount of people that seem to be growing it.

Not a single flower on D. spatulata 'Tamlin' is a pod now, so I doubted a hybrid but in the end I guess I'll have to plant them and find out.

It's pretty rare that in a contained collection sundews will cross pollinate without help. But if you do get a hybrid it should be pretty cool!

it has that designation because it hasnt been given a formal species designation yet...

I had that species once. It's a prolific selfer.

It's pretty rare that in a contained collection sundews will cross pollinate without help. But if you do get a hybrid it should be pretty cool!

Eh, I wouldn't consider them contained, they're growing outside right now. Probably should've mentioned that.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Back