What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
This happens with almost all my Drosera except my pygmies.

Scenario 1:

I put any Drosera in a tray of distilled water... This has been done with multiple container colors, sizes, ect. I fill it up to almost the top of the container and I either keep it at that level, usually over an inch below the pot rim (used to do that, but stopped) OR I fill it to that level and let it drain dry before watering again. Result: Drosera leaves turn black from tips to base.

Scenario 2:

I put any Drosera in any of my Sphagnum cultures. I keep the water level about half way between the bottom of the container and the medium level. That is about 1" or 1.5" of water, sometimes more and sometimes less. Their roots are likely submerged or partially submerged in water, with frequent culture floodings. All Drosera in these conditions thrive. Temperate or tropical, they thrive. Some grow naturally, springing up from seeds that were in the Sphagnum. I have found sarracenia and VFTs in there, but mainly Drosera. There are spatulata, capensis, binata, rotundifolia and many other unidentified species growing. No matter what, they thrive.

Conditions:

72-82F during the day and 54F at night year round, with minor temperature variations due to season. 60% humidity and higher during the day, 70% in the evenings and 90% at night on average. They are growing in a greenhouse with my highland Nepenthes, which grow great for me. 50% shade cloth Arpil-October, lower light levels in the other months.

As you can see, there is conflicting information in me experiences with how much water they can handle. Was wondering if anyone could provide advice as to how to fix this... I'm sure it has to be water. It wouldn't make sense that all potted Drosera do this and ones in Sphagnum cultures don't, it has to be water... Any care tips for Drosera (I guess it is kinda late for that now that I own a ton of them lol) would be great. I know I'm really... derpy... for killing Drosera. Especially capensis, I have killed those too (but brought them back)... When my Drosera lose all their leaves, I move them into the Sphagnum cultures and they come back magically.

TL;DR: My Drosera turn black from the tips to the base of the leaves. What could cause this?

What soil mix do you use for scenario 1?

What soil mix do you use for scenario 1?

I never repot, I use what they are growing well in. It is mainly peat, though.

Well repotting every year or so and using a 1:1 peat:sand soil for most plants should work okay. Works wonders for me. Usually on repotting you can just wait for the plant to overgrow its pot.

Well repotting every year or so and using a 1:1 peat:sand soil for most plants should work okay. Works wonders for me. Usually on repotting you can just wait for the plant to overgrow its pot.

I highly doubt this is a repotting issue if it is happening with every single one of my Drosera... Except pygmies.

Well look at your soil. Also you say you use a shade cloth? Perhaps they're not receiving enough light?

Well look at your soil. Also you say you use a shade cloth? Perhaps they're not receiving enough light?

My Nepenthes are receiving enough light as well as the Drosera in the Sphagnum cultures which are also under the shade cloth. If they weren't getting enough light, I wouldn't have even bought shade cloth. I have it because there is too much light.

Yeah, thinking along similar lines as Api (refreshing the soil- one consequence of which is a refreshing of the pH)- Senario 2 the difference seems to be you have placed the pots in a Sphagnum culture right? I caught myself wondering if the pH is being buffered by the Sphagnum. I know that seems a little weird but I would check the pH. I am not so sure it is the water (well, maybe in a way kinda...)- I think the Sphagnum is doing something (I have no particular reason for believing that though).

I know I'm really... derpy... for killing Drosera.
Uh.... well...
When my Drosera lose all their leaves, I move them into the Sphagnum cultures and they come back magically.
Sounds like you have a dang good solution here :p

Yeah, thinking along similar lines as Api (refreshing the soil- one consequence of which is a refreshing of the pH)- Senario 2 the difference seems to be you have placed the pots in a Sphagnum culture right? I caught myself wondering if the pH is being buffered by the Sphagnum. I know that seems a little weird but I would check the pH. I am not so sure it is the water (well, maybe in a way kinda...)- I think the Sphagnum is doing something (I have no particular reason for believing that though).

Uh.... well...

Sounds like you have a dang good solution here :p

I'd love to keep them in their pots though haha. They'll get mixed up and misidentified in the Sphagnum cultures, and when I want to harvest it will get messy.

Do Drosera usually like to be standing in a lot of water or not so much? On a pot, how far should the water come up to at highest? 3/4 of the way, 1/2 of the way? What works for your major Drosera growers?

Haha. Well Pine ole boy I have no solution other than stick with the sphagnum. If its seems to work then I don't see any reason to do anything else.

I do actually know the purpose of the shade cloth. I was just suggesting the idea of it working too well.

EDIT: Just put the cultures inside the pots!

It just doesn't make sense because the place I got them from grew them in the same trays I use. It has to be water level... At least I think. Again, does anyone have information regarding proper water level in ratio to pot height? Do Drosera like to be in a lot of water, just a little water, should the trays dry up before watering? It is worth a try to adjust my watering schedule. ???

I keep mine in a tray with the water at 1/4 up the pots give or take 24/7. At this moment I have out 10 plants half are flowering. Try that out. Also my plants are on a 16/8 photoperiod so maybe that is a factor...? Humidity ~50% at all times.

water level would depend on the soil mix. heavier mixes will be able to wick moisture higher above the water level compared to lighter aerier mixes.

i use 1/4 pot height for my water level using a 2/3s peat to 1/3 perlite

water level would depend on the soil mix. heavier mixes will be able to wick moisture higher above the water level compared to lighter aerier mixes.

i use 1/4 pot height for my water level using a 2/3s peat to 1/3 perlite

Thanks! I'll try adjusting water levels tomorrow. I think most of the pots are pretty much pure peat, perhaps a bit of perlite, not much.

I'd love to keep them in their pots though haha. They'll get mixed up and misidentified in the Sphagnum cultures, and when I want to harvest it will get messy.
When you put them in the sphagnum, do you take them out of the pots and then plant them in the sphagnum? I had read it as you were placing the potted plants in the sphagnum. If you are taking them out- I wonder if your soil is perhaps too dense. Of course- Api's suggestion is good. If they like the Sphagnum- why not pot them up in sphagnum?[/QUOTE]

Do Drosera usually like to be standing in a lot of water or not so much? On a pot, how far should the water come up to at highest? 3/4 of the way, 1/2 of the way? What works for your major Drosera growers?
I think it depends on the particular species. Most of mine, I am a little more conservative on the water. The vast majority of my Droseras are either Australian or South African though (I do not have a single North American species Ironically). D. spatulata for example- dies a miserable death in my care. I have been told D. spatulata almost likes flooding.

"My Nepenthes are receiving enough light as well as the Drosera in the Sphagnum cultures which are also under the shade cloth. If they weren't getting enough light, I wouldn't have even bought shade cloth. I have it because there is too much light."

I am starting to wonder about light though- are they producing dew at least? When you say the species in the Sphagnum are getting enough light- are you comparing identical species in and out of the sphagnum culture? Same amount of light? If so, I would also consider the humidity levels. 60% RH seems fine to me but I would expect that the ones in the Sphagnum are at a slightly higher RH. A good test of this might be to put a potted drosera (assuming you are placing pot and all in the cultures) in a plastic bag and mount it in the culture as you normally would- see how it responds.

then id go a bit below 1/4. pure peat can wick moisture very very easily

When you put them in the sphagnum, do you take them out of the pots and then plant them in the sphagnum? I had read it as you were placing the potted plants in the sphagnum. If you are taking them out- I wonder if your soil is perhaps too dense. Of course- Api's suggestion is good. If they like the Sphagnum- why not pot them up in sphagnum?

I think it depends on the particular species. Most of mine, I am a little more conservative on the water. The vast majority of my Droseras are either Australian or South African though (I do not have a single North American species Ironically). D. spatulata for example- dies a miserable death in my care. I have been told D. spatulata almost likes flooding.

"My Nepenthes are receiving enough light as well as the Drosera in the Sphagnum cultures which are also under the shade cloth. If they weren't getting enough light, I wouldn't have even bought shade cloth. I have it because there is too much light."

I am starting to wonder about light though- are they producing dew at least? When you say the species in the Sphagnum are getting enough light- are you comparing identical species in and out of the sphagnum culture? Same amount of light? If so, I would also consider the humidity levels. 60% RH seems fine to me but I would expect that the ones in the Sphagnum are at a slightly higher RH. A good test of this might be to put a potted drosera (assuming you are placing pot and all in the cultures) in a plastic bag and mount it in the culture as you normally would- see how it responds.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I take them out of their pots and put them into Sphagnum. They are in a greenhouse in full sun for a couple hours a day, which is why I need shade cloth. The rest of the day it is very bright shade. There are capensis dying outside of the Sphagnum cultures and capensis thriving inside of the Sphagnum cultures. Same with spatulatas and other species as well. As I mentioned, there are many naturally occurring species in the Sphagnum as well.

They are producing tons of dew... Even at they turn black at the tips and work toward the base of the leaf, they are covered in dew. Humidity definitely isn't the issue, but the ones in the Sphagnum cultures are probably getting slightly higher humidity, but since there is so much air flow due to the swamp cooler, I would think that as the dews get taller, they would lose the extra humidity since it is probably held no further than container side level.

then id go a bit below 1/4. pure peat can wick moisture very very easily

Alright, I'll go really light on the water for a while and see how that does. :)

Yes, I take them out of their pots and put them into Sphagnum.
I'm becoming more convinced its your soil density.

They are producing tons of dew... Even at they turn black at the tips and work toward the base of the leaf, they are covered in dew.
So then light is probably not the issue- thats good!

Humidity definitely isn't the issue, but the ones in the Sphagnum cultures are probably getting slightly higher humidity, but since there is so much air flow due to the swamp cooler, I would think that as the dews get taller, they would lose the extra humidity since it is probably held no further than container side level.
Huh?

Alright, I'll go really light on the water for a while and see how that does. :)
While you are at it- try this experiment. Take two of the same species. Transplant both at the same time (so we can factor out exhausted media- lets start with fresh soil)- put one in your usual soil mix (almost pure peat) and one in a much airier mix (like 50/50 peat/sand or live LFS or something). Personally, I think your dense soil could be a problem. Not sure if it is fair to completely blame it on soil density but you mentioned that you have a hard time keeping dews alive. Soil density could explain a lot of that. Roots need oxygen- hard to get that in pure peat.

Back