Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Drosophyllum

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, update on some of the droso seed I planted...germination begins! Some were sown in a plastic 6-cell seedling insert on a very thin layer of peat on top of the bulky media to keep the seed from getting lost between the perlite and pumice, and some in small Jiffy pots without the thin layer of peat. Media is perlite/pumice/sand/peat. I have 10 successfully germinate so far.

The first 5 pics were taken the day after a rain storm had beaten them up a bit, the last 3 were protected under a table that day.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

This pic is an update of how the two seedlings are doing from seed I planted in a standard peat/perlite soil mix last year and left outside all winter. The tiny one on the left growing between the soil and side of the pot is not doing too well and I may try to transplant that one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow DJ, awesome! I was about to send you a pm the other day to ask if you tried sowing any fresh seeds. I have better germination in autumn so I was wondering if I should wait with my own fresh seeds. Your pics are very encouraging, loving the red hue on the tips, I guess this is as healthy as they can get.

Have you noted the germination time ?

edit: What's that big red plant in the background in the first photo ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the little pots, germination time took 3-1/2 weeks to 3 months. The ones with a thin layer of peat germinated the quickest. The two growing in the standard CP mix were planted last year in late August and germinated in February or March of this year.

The red plant in the background is some kind of Japanese Maple.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the droso that germinated from seed sown in a gallon nursery pot in the standard soil mix for sarrs last fall and left outside over winter.

At the end of June, I finally decided to uproot and repot this droso into a 12" terra cotta pot with my normal droso soil mix, knowing full well I was pushing the limits according to the literature. I carefully removed the plant with the soil intact around the roots and discovered the root was near the bottom of the one-gallon nursery pot when some soil fell away at the bottom of the soil plug. I immediately transplanted the plug into the large pot and below are the results of my stupidity (trying to transplant a droso past the seedling stage).

What the plant looked like before trying to murder it, very nice
    [IMG][/IMG]

What it looked like just after transplanting
    [IMG][/IMG]

What it looked like 15-20 minutes later, leaves laying flat on the surface of the soil
    [IMG][/IMG]

After throwing up and a day or so of mourning, I put the pot in the shade and put a dome over the top to see if it would recover. Over the next few days the leaves started browning from the ends down and it was still laying flat. I knew it was toast then, so removed the dome and put the pot back out into full sun. I decided I did not want to waste all that fresh soil in the large pot, so was going to give the plant a proper burial and replace it with one of my small Jiffy pot droso seedlings. I got busy with other stuff and so did not get to doing that for several days. When I went out to take care of the "dead" plant and put a fresh seedling in the pot, this is what I found:

[IMG][/IMG]

And this is what the droso looks like today, I guess it really wanted to live...and I almost threw it in the compost pile!
    [IMG][/IMG]

I will never again try to transplant a droso past the small seedling stage, lesson learned! I guess though that pushing the limits once in a while furthers our knowledge.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I couldn't've pulled that one off. You have the touch.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting and informative, thanks for sharing that DJ. I just lost one of my six plants to rot and now I wish I had waited before throwing it out...A good lesson.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I know I couldn't've pulled that one off. You have the touch.
    Ha, I don't think I could do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by maxima View Post
    Very interesting and informative, thanks for sharing that DJ. I just lost one of my six plants to rot and now I wish I had waited before throwing it out...A good lesson.
    Sorry to hear you lost one, yours are so nice looking.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mother plant and this years progeny winter home in the unheated garage. There are a couple shop lights I keep a few inches from the tops of the leaves, but were taken down to reposition them at the time I took the photo a couple weeks ago.

[IMG] Drosos in garage for winter by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Garage temps usually range from low/mid 40s at night and upper 50s during the day through winter, but we had an unusual deep freeze at the beginning of this month with temps in the teens and 20s outside, not getting above freezing for over a week. Needless to say, the garage temps plummeted into the low 30s for a few nights in a row. Surprisingly, the seedlings did not skip a beat despite the low temps and look as though they are still outside and it is summer! The small pot in the foreground is one I am overwintering for someone and at the time the pic was taken is still adjusting to lower temps and higher light levels in my conditions, but doing really well now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast