User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 25 to 32 of 42

Thread: My Drosophyllum

  1. #25
    I am a CPaholic... DJ57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,712
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been a while, so thought I'd post some pics of my drosos taken last week. These are the 2013 babies in the pic on my last post above.

    [IMG]IMG_0472x2 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0549x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0397x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0551x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0506x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0547x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0566x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0560x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]IMG_0511x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

    Hope you enjoy
    Last edited by DJ57; 09-30-2014 at 12:34 AM.

  2. #26
    NECPS Editor Radagast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What pretty flowers. Very impressive.

  3. #27
    I am a CPaholic... DJ57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,712
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flowers are what first attracted me to this awesome plant and it quickly became one of my favorite dews for both the flowers and dewy leaves.

  4. #28
    Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona USA
    Posts
    8,432
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great looking plants, you definitely have the Droso touch! Have you ever written up a "How I grow Droso" post? It seems you are constantly successful with them, and some of us could really use that help. I grew a few to decent size once, but haven't been able to do it again. The last ones I sprouted I lose when I moved them to their home pots. Who knows what I did differently.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

  5. #29
    jlechtm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    N. Virginia, USA
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's encouraging (inspirational) to see Drosos growing so well! I'm coming up on my first year of growing them from seed (thanks again for the seed, Mike Wang!). In the Mid-Atlantic, US, with the frequent rain and high humidity during the summer, I've kept mine in a very well-ventilated greenhouse since birth. I got them through germination and seedling stages without rot, figured out (thankfully) how to taper off the water to drier growing during the summer, and now the temperatures are cooling off and I'm starting to slowly increase the water in their trays. I think I actually kept them wetter than I should have (I travel for work and am always afraid they would dry out without me), but I haven't lost a single plant (so far). I have two 14" pots and four 8" pots, each with two to four plants. I probably should have thinned them out more, but I couldn't bear to.

    They aren't as compact or as red as yours (I'm sure it's the reduced light in the GH) but they seem happy enough. I'm hoping that they'll flower for me next year. They certainly look large enough. When do yours flower?

    As someone who has grown Sarracenia and a few Drosera most of my time in the hobby, I'm absolutely amazed at how efficient they are at catching insects. They're constantly covered with tiny gnats and even larger prey (lots of flies and moths, and even a wasp and hornet or two). And the strong honey smell throughout the greenhouse is very cool. I often find myself stealing a fly or two from them to give to my D. regia plants that don't do nearly as well at feeding themselves.

    Thanks for sharing your success!
    Last edited by jlechtm; 10-10-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

    Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

  6. #30
    I am a CPaholic... DJ57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,712
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Great looking plants, you definitely have the Droso touch! Have you ever written up a "How I grow Droso" post? It seems you are constantly successful with them, and some of us could really use that help. I grew a few to decent size once, but haven't been able to do it again. The last ones I sprouted I lose when I moved them to their home pots. Who knows what I did differently.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Andrew
    Thank you Andrew. I really think I owe my success with Drosophyllum to the climate where I live more than anything else. I think Forest Grove, OR, has a micro climate well suited for them at least during the growing season. I have fresh seed I can send to you if you want to try again

    I will write up a post "How I grow Drosophyllum."

  7. #31
    I am a CPaholic... DJ57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,712
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlechtm View Post
    It's encouraging (inspirational) to see Drosos growing so well! I'm coming up on my first year of growing them from seed (thanks again for the seed, Mike Wang!). In the Mid-Atlantic, US, with the frequent rain and high humidity during the summer, I've kept mine in a very well-ventilated greenhouse since birth. I got them through germination and seedling stages without rot, figured out (thankfully) how to taper off the water to drier growing during the summer, and now the temperatures are cooling off and I'm starting to slowly increase the water in their trays. I think I actually kept them wetter than I should have (I travel for work and am always afraid they would dry out without me), but I haven't lost a single plant (so far). I have two 14" pots and four 8" pots, each with two to four plants. I probably should have thinned them out more, but I couldn't bear to.

    They aren't as compact or as red as yours (I'm sure it's the reduced light in the GH) but they seem happy enough. I'm hoping that they'll flower for me next year. They certainly look large enough. When do yours flower?

    As someone who has grown Sarracenia and a few Drosera most of my time in the hobby, I'm absolutely amazed at how efficient they are at catching insects. They're constantly covered with tiny gnats and even larger prey (lots of flies and moths, and even a wasp and hornet or two). And the strong honey smell throughout the greenhouse is very cool. I often find myself stealing a fly or two from them to give to my D. regia plants that don't do nearly as well at feeding themselves.

    Thanks for sharing your success!
    Thank you. They are amazing plants. Mine also catch big prey like moths, wasps, and huge flys.

    Mine usually start flowering the second season after germination, although I have had some flower the first season while still small seedlings. When seedlings send up a flower stalk I cut them off so energy goes to leaf producation instead, then they send up lots of leaves and the plant ends up growing real bushy. I have had some send up flower stalks as early as February or March, before they go outside, and others don't start flowering until late spring/early summer and then will flower all season into fall. I don't know if this is normal for them in the wild, to flower all season, and I am not really sure exactly what triggers them to flower. I have heard people say they die after flowering, but this has not been the case with me. I had one survive four years and it profusely flowered the last three years and seemed to do just fine. It died over winter. The roots were coming out the bottom, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it failing or if it was just worn out from energy spent constantly flowering and producing seed, haha. The three pots I have now contain plants I germinated from seed last year and they are 12" pots, so we will see if they will survive longer than four years.

  8. #32
    jlechtm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    N. Virginia, USA
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    I had one survive four years and it profusely flowered the last three years and seemed to do just fine. It died over winter. The roots were coming out the bottom, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it failing or if it was just worn out from energy spent constantly flowering and producing seed, haha.
    I have heard from other experienced Drosophyllum growers that their plants often die after flowering. Have you experimented with fertillizing (or fertillizing more heavily) while flowering and/or setting seed? This past winter and early spring, when the greenhouse was closed and winged food was scarce, I found they reacted well to foliar feeding with dilute Nature's Harvest. I'm planning to spray them again this winter, and -- if they do flower for me next year -- to supplement their wild-caught food with additional feedings. I'm curious if you have any experience with this.
    Last edited by jlechtm; 10-13-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

    Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •