Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D. paradoxa in water only

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of symptoms were you seeing before it was submerged? I have been noticing that paradoxa can go dormant. And this might happen more when going from one set of conditions to another.

example

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. paradoxa seems to go dormant almost randomly. Worse it gets stuck in dormancy and stays that way. One of the master growers in the LACPS says repotting them when they do this seems to help bring them back to life.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    D. paradoxa seems to go dormant almost randomly. Worse it gets stuck in dormancy and stays that way. One of the master growers in the LACPS says repotting them when they do this seems to help bring them back to life.
    was wondering about that. seems that all the new plants derived from leaf pullings are doing that to me. was almost wondering if paradoxa has a upper temp limit that once it hits they go dormant. Never have seen it with the plants I put outside. cool night temps and all. More odd is Amp said that dormancy in paradoxa is not observed in nature so wondering what is going on here. Venting out more of the excess heat out of the growing room....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually observe mealy bugs at the roots of paradoxa plants that go dormant for me. The remedy is to remove all the brown old leaves and repot the plant in new media. Always works. Sometimes, I split the plant into 2-3 parts and get a few new plants.
    Cindy

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the abstract on one paper that you can kill root mealybugs by immersing the roots in 120F water. The test plants were left in the water long enough for the center of the root ball to reach 110F (about 20 minutes). Something tiny like D. paradox probably only needs to be dipped for a few seconds. Bare root. Might be worth trying on a few plants. One of those DIY pest control books I glanced through in the library said you can kill mealybugs by spraying with hot water (90-120F). I tried this out and it seems to work but you never know with mealybugs. 120F shouldn't bother D. paradoxa much.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just wasn't doing anything. I saw a little green and knew it had some life to it. The other 2 plants I received were growing. This one is now doing better than the other 2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dunno. have never seen root mealybugs on this one. have not seen mealybugs in the indoor collection either. OTOH most of my paradoxa do not really have roots. compared to ordensis or fulva, paradoxa seems to only have roots to prevent the plant from blowing away in the wind.....

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In Sept. I recieved a few Petiolaris plants and took a few pullings from them. I put these in a container with water, closed the lid and apparently forgot about them.

Then yesterday while mucking around in the g/h I see this container and wondered what was in it! (funny how things get lost huh :-\ ) To my surprise there are plants in there- a couple doing quite well given the circumstances...!

Pretty cool =)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast