What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. paradoxa in water only

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast

Last edited:
Very nice! Looks pretty happy in those conditions. How long has it been growing like that?

~ a couple weeks. It was struggling badly, and out of desperation, i plucked the bad leaves and placed in water.

I can't see the photo...?

It was in the wrong location on My Photobucket account. It should be visible again.

That is very cool. I wonder how it will do long term. Several plants can live submerged for a time, then start to rot. What do you plan to do with it?
It looks great, thanks for posting!

I've propagated D. paradoxa by tearing the whole plant into pieces and ended up with many plantlets. They are usually submerged for months without any problems. With the stem above water, that plant may actually survive longer.

Currently, I have other petiolaris complex plants growing in live sphagnum moss with fluctuating water table, flooding at least once a week and they are doing well.

Thank you, Cindy! Transitioning from water to media hasn't been easy for me.

what kind of symptoms were you seeing before it was submerged? I have been noticing that paradoxa can go dormant. And this might happen more when going from one set of conditions to another.

example

D. paradoxa seems to go dormant almost randomly. Worse it gets stuck in dormancy and stays that way. One of the master growers in the LACPS says repotting them when they do this seems to help bring them back to life.

D. paradoxa seems to go dormant almost randomly. Worse it gets stuck in dormancy and stays that way. One of the master growers in the LACPS says repotting them when they do this seems to help bring them back to life.

was wondering about that. seems that all the new plants derived from leaf pullings are doing that to me. was almost wondering if paradoxa has a upper temp limit that once it hits they go dormant. Never have seen it with the plants I put outside. cool night temps and all. More odd is Amp said that dormancy in paradoxa is not observed in nature so wondering what is going on here. Venting out more of the excess heat out of the growing room....

I usually observe mealy bugs at the roots of paradoxa plants that go dormant for me. The remedy is to remove all the brown old leaves and repot the plant in new media. Always works. Sometimes, I split the plant into 2-3 parts and get a few new plants.

I read the abstract on one paper that you can kill root mealybugs by immersing the roots in 120°F water. The test plants were left in the water long enough for the center of the root ball to reach 110°F (about 20 minutes). Something tiny like D. paradox probably only needs to be dipped for a few seconds. Bare root. Might be worth trying on a few plants. One of those DIY pest control books I glanced through in the library said you can kill mealybugs by spraying with hot water (90-120°F). I tried this out and it seems to work but you never know with mealybugs. 120°F shouldn't bother D. paradoxa much.

It just wasn't doing anything. I saw a little green and knew it had some life to it. The other 2 plants I received were growing. This one is now doing better than the other 2.

dunno. have never seen root mealybugs on this one. have not seen mealybugs in the indoor collection either. OTOH most of my paradoxa do not really have roots. compared to ordensis or fulva, paradoxa seems to only have roots to prevent the plant from blowing away in the wind.....

In Sept. I recieved a few Petiolaris plants and took a few pullings from them. I put these in a container with water, closed the lid and apparently forgot about them.

20131110_124047.jpg

Then yesterday while mucking around in the g/h I see this container and wondered what was in it! (funny how things get lost huh :-\ ) To my surprise there are plants in there- a couple doing quite well given the circumstances...!

20131110_124052.jpg

Pretty cool =)

Hey Jimscott, hows that D. paradoxa doing these days??

@adnedarn: what species do you have sprouted in your photo? Did you just take cuttings or were they more pulling-like with portions of the main plant attached?

I believe it was petiolaris. They were pullings of the main plants when I got them in, generally a few leaves as a group along with the white of the main plant.
Andrew

Back