Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera viability?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera viability?

I have the following drosera and was wondering if they will remain viable: d. natalensis, d. filiformis FL Giant, d. intermedia, d. capillaris long arm. I would like to get big pots and grow them outside next spring. But if the seeds won't remain viable, i need to know that and will get them started inside. If they will remain viable what is the best way to store them: just in the house, fridge, or where? If there is anything i am missing or if you have some suggestions shoot them my way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

monkey_Cup

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    possible to store most drosera seeds in the refrigerator for about 4 years. Dunno how the natalensis or capillaris will do exposed to freezing temp. The other plants should be making hibernacula to prepare for the onset of winter. I would guess those seeds would also have a means to deal with freezing.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kulamauiman

Thanks for the info, do you think it will be fine to store seeds in a pill bottle or baggy, or do i need to put it in a wet paper towel. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    possible to store most drosera seeds in the refrigerator for about 4 years. Dunno how the natalensis or capillaris will do exposed to freezing temp. The other plants should be making hibernacula to prepare for the onset of winter. I would guess those seeds would also have a means to deal with freezing.......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    store dry. i don't think they need stratification. But I don't grow a lot of temperate species. Might want to make small envelopes with waxed paper. then 4-6 weeks before planting stratify the temperate species......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome, once again thanks for the info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started some I've had at least 6 years a few weeks ago, that were stored in the fridge. Germinated fine
    "You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt."
    My Grow List!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The filiformis, intermedia and capillaris will all need stratification. I'm sure that some will germinate without it but you'll have much better results with a cold strat of a few months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dunno about the capillaris "Long arm" tha tone germinated fine for me without.... But it doesn't like to be enclosed when it germinates. wanted more "airy" conditions...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast