Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera filiformis

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the newer leaves turning that dark it may well be the cross or the FL Giant form. I would hazard a guess that it's the cross.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much! Is there anyway I will be able to know for sure which it is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt very much you will be able to know for sure what the plant is beyond a hybrid between Drosera filiformis and Drosera tracyi. If you want a name, you can call it Drosera x californica and leave it at that. Among the Drosera x californica plants it looks too red for Drosera x californica 'California Sunset'. There is no published definition of "Florida Giant" or "Carolina Giant" or comparison between them and Drosera 'California Sunset' but they are very similar to Drosera 'California Sunset'. I also consider them hybrids--more than likely natural hybrids. The plants I have seen purported to be "Florida Giant" look a lot like your plant.

One way to know the simple Drosera x californica hybrids is they start out with all red tentacle heads but then fade to red tipped or pink tipped tentacle heads like new tentacle heads in Drosera tracyi. Drosera tracyi tentacle heads start out red or pink tipped and fade to very light pink tipped if not clear. Of course the anthocyanin-free white flowered Drosera tracyi has clear tentacle heads only. I presume in backcross hybrids anything can happen such as the tentacle heads not fading if backcrossed to Drosera filiformis and plants almost indistinguishable from Drosera tracyi if backcrossed to that species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like California sunset to me looks just like mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much, that description sounds accurateof how my plant behaves.

I'm not sure it could be California Sunset, Australia has very strict quarantine laws so it's not worth the trouble to import live plants as seed can be imported for approved species just fine. So it's unlikely that the cultivar has been imported.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cutting from this plant are very vigorous! From memory, I cut them off of the plant around a month ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12