Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petiolaris complex plants - restarting collection

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to admit that the idea of keeping my petiolaris 'dews outside where I could more easily see them does sound inviting. Growing them in live sphagnum sounds intriguing, too. I wish you success.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants are colouring up very nicely but the Sony DSC cannot get the correct white balance so I'll leave it to your imagination if the tone should be more yellow or blue.

D. kenneallyi

D. dilatato-petiolaris

A whole group of D. dilatato-petiolaris
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice Cindy. I've never seen anyone attempt growing them in live sphagnum before either as NaN noted. You mentioned this is just for hardening--will this mean that you will go into the sand/peat mix when they've hardened up?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm....I thought of just using live sphagnum moss as hardening media at first but some species are doing so well that I'll be leaving them as they are. However, I'll be pulling out one plant each to be potted in peat/sand mix for comparison.

My experience so far...
    D. falconeri (a few plants rotted and the remaining plant grew very slowly; but then again the species is the most sensitive of the lot...it has been moved to peat/sand mix)
    D. broomensis/D. lanata/D. darwinensis (prefers lower water level, will react when LSM is flooded even for 1-2 days i.e. water at the crown but recovers and continues to grow well if water level is lower)
    D. ordensis/D. kenneallyi/D. paradoxa/D. dilatato-petiolaris (ok with fluctuations in water level; best growing of the lot)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice Cindy! I always like when people try growing things outside of the "normal" conditions. Experimenting with different medias and techniques is how we expand and become better growers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm converting over to LFS, but it's the dried 'orchid moss' and hope to be starting seeds in that medium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Hmm....I thought of just using live sphagnum moss as hardening media at first but some species are doing so well that I'll be leaving them as they are. However, I'll be pulling out one plant each to be potted in peat/sand mix for comparison.

My experience so far...
    D. falconeri (a few plants rotted and the remaining plant grew very slowly; but then again the species is the most sensitive of the lot...it has been moved to peat/sand mix)
    D. broomensis/D. lanata/D. darwinensis (prefers lower water level, will react when LSM is flooded even for 1-2 days i.e. water at the crown but recovers and continues to grow well if water level is lower)
    D. ordensis/D. kenneallyi/D. paradoxa/D. dilatato-petiolaris (ok with fluctuations in water level; best growing of the lot)
    your experience with falconeri makes sense-- the plant tends to die back into a bulb during dormancy and is very sensitive to moisture levels at that point--too much moisture will cause the bulb to rot. caduca seems to also follow this life strategy. i believe kenneallyi also does this.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast