Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going all-out to germinate some Drosophyllum

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE!! A lot has gone on with these seeds since I sowed them.

~11/23 I noticed the white endosperm of seeds 3 and 10 (both scarified) looked like it was swelling.
    ~11/25 I noticed the emergence of a radicle on seed 10. Seed 3's endosperm had swelled more but over the weekend had turned completely black and died, obviously infected with something. I immediately treated both 3 and 10 with Cleary's 3336 fungicide at a rate of 3/4 teaspoons per gallon of water. Since (1) the media was sterile and (2) both seeds were sterilized and (3) both were treated with Banrot fungicide, I suspect that a bacterial pathogen and not a fungal pathogen got into seed 3. I don't have any good antibiotics so I can't tell for sure.
    -Seed 10 was immediately sprayed with dilute fertilizer (1/8 tsp of http://www.jrpeters.com/Products/Jac...Peat-Lite.html combined with 1/8 tsp/gallon of http://www.jrpeters.com/Products/Jac...ED--Ca-Mg.html) from a spray bottle, just to keep the soil moist. It was moved into a warm greenhouse (60-70F) because the cooler temperatures it was in (40-50F) were keeping the media sopping wet and prevented it from drying even a little.
    -Seeds were covered in a humidity dome from 11/26-11/29 because I was on Thanksgiving break and didn't want them to dry out or the weekend waterer to touch them. It appeared to me that this stimulated the formation of root hairs on seed 10's radicle. The cover was removed 11/30 when I came back.
    -Seed 10 went from a simple elongated radicle to 2 leaves already unfurled when I came back from the holiday break. No other seeds had germinated.
    -I moved all seeds from a cool, unheated greenhouse (50-60F days and 40-50F nights) to a warm 70F-60F greenhouse with 14-hour growlights because the media was staying more cold and wet than I would have preferred. They were not drying out at all and the peat pots had started to mold.
    12/5: Seed 3 had germinated under the Turface and began sending up 2 tiny leaves. It was treated with fertilizer sprays and Cleary's 3336 sprays.

So, the preliminary results this little pilot study is suggesting to me are:
    -Scarification may help Drosophyllum germinate faster but poses a risk of infection
    -Sterilization with 70% ethanol for 3 minutes before the seeds are scarified is nontoxic to Drosophyllum. I am hypothesizing that 10% bleach may be too harsh.
    -Also hypothesizing that temperatures lower than 50 degrees may inhibit Drosophyllum germination. They most certainly do not allow for proper drying of the media or the peat pots.
    -media may be unimportant to germination as long as it (1) provides drainage and (2) is sterile
    -Cleary's 3336 fungicide is nontoxic to Drosophyllum when applied at the lowest recommended rate on the label
    -Banrot fungicide is nontoxic to Drosophyllum when applied at the lowest recommended rate on the label
    -Peter's 20-10-20 Peat-Lite and Poinsettia FeED are both nontoxic to Drosophyllum when combined at rates of 1/8 tsp/gallon each, for a total of 1/4 tsp of total fertilizer per gallon of water. Until I have enough plants to do a growth rate experiment I will not be able to say it stimulates or enhances growth.

So, I now have 2 living Drosophyllum from two techniques that were similar except for the media used. Wish me luck for keeping them alive!

I would love to hear recommendations from successful growers as to
    1) the stage you transplant Drosophyllum to its final pot
    2) pot size and type used
    3) the media you use for Drosophyllum

Thanks guys! Hope my experiences are contributing useful information! I have some photos I took today but will have to wait until I can get them uploaded.
    Last edited by theplantman; 12-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's where we stand with the Drosophyllum babies as of 5 minutes ago

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lost the two original seedlings to the weekend waterer. I grouped the remaining seeds in the same pot, and with the higher temps I got three more germinations. For some reason, one is growing fantastically but the other two have ~7 leaves and have failed to grow roots. I have ~30-50% humidity and somehow they are still staying hydrated. This is mystifying--has anyone ever seen this occur? They didn't even make radicles, or the radicles got caught within the seed and broke. Can't tell.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    I have ~30-50% humidity and somehow they are still staying hydrated. This is mystifying--has anyone ever seen this occur? ]
    It's always been a mystery how Drosophyllum is able to constantly secrete dew even in low humidity and without much water. I don't have experience with seedlings, but mine is kept outside in less humid conditions than yours with watering every other day and somehow still manages to secrete a lot of dew.

Good luck with your seedlings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Lost the two original seedlings to the weekend waterer.
    I like this phrase.

Is this a common phrase I am just not familiar with or an actual person you have water for you on that weekend and they killed them by too much or none at all?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I like this phrase.

Is this a common phrase I am just not familiar with or an actual person you have water for you on that weekend and they killed them by too much or none at all?
    It's an actual part-time person we employed to water on some weekends. My facility has 7 greenhouses, and to water them all by hand takes ~4 hours each day. The individual who killed the Drosophyllum also allowed several tens of thousands of dollars in research plants to dry out and die, and was terminated. Weekend waterers are usually a weak link for large conservatories/botanical gardens and it is typically a job requiring the utmost trust. The only alternate is for the staff to work 7 days a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I'm jumping into the conversation a little late but for those like me who are looking for info about Drosophyllum and the calcium debate, I thought this fairly recent paper might help.

It's a great paper that gives details about soil, germination technique and the effect of insect-feeding versus fertilizer.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28065921
    Last edited by Anne-Lise; 10-20-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The secret to keep young drosophyllum alive is the lighting.
    Provinding artificial lighting in automn and winter ll keep them alive to the next season

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast