Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hcarlton's hybrids

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    Got a flower on one of the plants in the pot labeled D. tokaiensis x sp. Lantau Island. However, I'm thinking this guy isn't a cross

The other one that sprouted, however (but hasn't flowered yet) definitely looks like success however
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    By the way, quick update on the D. tokaiensis x 'Tamlin': turns out the cross is semi-fertile, as a small portion of the seeds it produced actually sprouted. Mind you, compared to a normal flower stalk which would produce a couple thousand seeds, this one only produced around 50 from two, and so far about 5 have sprouted, so it is for the most part a non=reproductive plant, with rare exceptions.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!
    This makes me want to try hybridizing sundews..
    The tokaiensis X 'Tamiln' looks like an excellent cross.

My only question is how do you manage to catch the flowers open
    Whenever I have sundews bloom, I never get to see them open, only closed...
    Hope I helped!
    -bananaman

Please check out My Growlist!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    It is an excellent cross, and the biggest of the three too, at over 3" across. Strange, since you'd think the one with 'Tamlin' as the mother would be bigger....

Flowers tend to open for me relatively early in the morning, about an hour after my lights turn on or at about 7:00 am, and stay open, depending on the species, for about two to 5 hours. Sp. Lantau Island keeps its flowers open almost all day, and the 'Tamlin' often opens late, so it's just a matter of timing. Always the best chance is usually about mid morning for me though, and if you want open flowers, the lighting needs to be strong enough to make them open.

Also, quick note, later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be posting photos of #4, D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm." A lot of similar crosses, I know, but each is interesting in its own way....
    Growlist

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Also, quick note, later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be posting photos of #4, D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm." A lot of similar crosses, I know, but each is interesting in its own way....
    'Looking forward to it. I'm really enjoying what you are doing and posting.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    Alright, here's the pics! D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm"

And here are the two hybrids next to a plant of the spat white flower that came up with them. You can see leaf shape, size, and to an extent, color changes
    Growlist

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big difference between those two. The leaves are quite different. The hybrid looks bigger, though it's hard to tell being as there are two of them. They definitely have longer petioles. Are all 3 plants about the same age? Have you seen much variation in the plants produced from the same seed sources?
    Last edited by bluemax; 02-12-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: corrected misspelling

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    They are all the same age, as they came from the same sowing of seeds, and the hybrids are certainly on a tendency to be bigger than the parents in most of the crosses. As for variation, only in growth speed, really, as some get massive in only a couple of months, and others still have yet to reach anything near a flowering size. Hybrids of the same kind all tend to turn out rather similar, so the crossings are consistent. That may change with the crosses involving more odd species, like madagascariensis or affinis (heads up for later posts ).
    Growlist

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Again, I'm looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOO HOO! I have been eagerly anticipating this thread and you have not disappointed! Thanks Hcarl! I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast