Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hcarlton's hybrids

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest I've ever seen.... and it's got 3 total forming/flowering at the same time, no sign of leaf size decrease either.....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another hybrid has flowered! This one is D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x tokaiensis, so the reverse of the monster in the previous posts. THe flowers are about the same color, that bright pink, but the leaves are thinner and resemble spatulata more.

I also took cuttings of all 3 of the ones that flowered, so should have extras in a few months. I have also apparently been successful in crossing D. madagascariensis x dielsiana (the reverse failed though), and crosses with madag x "capillaris Long Arm", sp. Lantau Island, affinis, and D. affinis x dielsiana and, if I recall correctly, also the "capillaris Long Arm".
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are getting great results! 'Hope you keep up the good work.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Nice. I can't wait to see more.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a flower on one of the plants in the pot labeled D. tokaiensis x sp. Lantau Island. However, I'm thinking this guy isn't a cross

The other one that sprouted, however (but hasn't flowered yet) definitely looks like success however
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, quick update on the D. tokaiensis x 'Tamlin': turns out the cross is semi-fertile, as a small portion of the seeds it produced actually sprouted. Mind you, compared to a normal flower stalk which would produce a couple thousand seeds, this one only produced around 50 from two, and so far about 5 have sprouted, so it is for the most part a non=reproductive plant, with rare exceptions.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!
    This makes me want to try hybridizing sundews..
    The tokaiensis X 'Tamiln' looks like an excellent cross.

My only question is how do you manage to catch the flowers open
    Whenever I have sundews bloom, I never get to see them open, only closed...
    Hope I helped!
    -bananaman

Please check out My Growlist!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an excellent cross, and the biggest of the three too, at over 3" across. Strange, since you'd think the one with 'Tamlin' as the mother would be bigger....

Flowers tend to open for me relatively early in the morning, about an hour after my lights turn on or at about 7:00 am, and stay open, depending on the species, for about two to 5 hours. Sp. Lantau Island keeps its flowers open almost all day, and the 'Tamlin' often opens late, so it's just a matter of timing. Always the best chance is usually about mid morning for me though, and if you want open flowers, the lighting needs to be strong enough to make them open.

Also, quick note, later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be posting photos of #4, D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm." A lot of similar crosses, I know, but each is interesting in its own way....
    Growlist

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast