What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great job!

Considering that one of the challenges is keeping the seed-parent plant from self-pollinating, ending up without a cross but with viable seeds seems almost inevitable from time to time.

Have you ever tried any crosses with capensis?

Yeah, occasional contamination happens, especially if I don't catch the flower before it starts closing.....

I do have a couple crosses with capensis (hope to get more as my alba is flowering), including tokaiensis x capensis, sp. Lantau x capensis, and aliciae x capensis. None of the seeds from the cape side got the chance to ripen as the plants happened to be from my outside population, and the crosses done late in the year, but maybe this year....

This one was a disappointment:

This was supposed to be sp. Lantau Island x madagascariensis. turns out, if the light is just a little lower, Lantau leaves easily fool. The flowers are producing seeds, so this is one more I must find a way to retry.

On the other hand, speaking of capensis crosses (see above post), here is the VERY successful: s. Lantau Island x capensis typical

I also have done both-way crosses using capensis alba just over the past couple days with Lantau, spat Fraser, brevifolia, and hopefully soon I will try aliciae, intermedia, maybe tokaiensis of spat Tamlin, and if I'm lucky: D. 'Dreamsicle' x capensis alba.

I like the s. Lantau Island x capensis. Those are some ambitious sounding cape crosses. Imagining capensis x brevifolia certainly makes me wonder. This is always an interesting thread.

The leaves continue to get longer on the Lantau x cape, too. Also forgot to update: I also recently tried two-way crosses involving the cape alba with D. affinis and aliciae, along with various spatulata/tokaiensis varieties.

D. tokaiensis x intermedia Carolina giant

D. natalensis x tokaiensis

And another shot of D. sp. Lantau Island x capensis typical

and flower

OMG! :spazz: These are turning out fantastic! Have you tried any leaf cuttings? And when can we expect hcarltons hybrids to hit the mass market? ???

I already sell extras on ebay, and advertise on other forums where sales are allowed. I have plenty of extras of a lot of the spatulata x tokaiensis type crosses, and a few extras of many of the others too.
Also, side note: with the filiformis FL giant flowering recently, I attempted crosses between it and D. capensis alba, sp. Lantau Island, and most exciting as it appears may have worked at least one direction: affinis.

The natalensis x tokaiensis began flowering, petals are smaller and more rounded than the seed parent, and a darker shade of pink, so this confirms it as a successful cross!

Also, not a spectacular hybrid, but a new spatulata form made by crossing 'Tamlin' with "Pink flower, Royal National Park, Sydney." The resulting plants are larger than the pink flower plants, and have intermediate flower colors, resulting in a nice mauve, pale pink color.

I already sell extras on ebay, and advertise on other forums where sales are allowed. I have plenty of extras of a lot of the spatulata x tokaiensis type crosses, and a few extras of many of the others too.
Also, side note: with the filiformis FL giant flowering recently, I attempted crosses between it and D. capensis alba, sp. Lantau Island, and most exciting as it appears may have worked at least one direction: affinis.

Mmm, a filiformis hybrid. When can we expect pictures?

Nice Work! I had not even considered hybridizing anything with intermedia, aliceae, or filiformis.
NatchGreyes told me about this thread + forum, so I wanted to come check it out. I've got Capensis, spat(fraziers island) and venusta flowering right now so I hope to get some successful cross pollinations this week. I've found that waiting for the flowers to open is a bit tricky for me. I only have about two hours before the cape or spat closes. My venusta however has been slowly opening for the past four days.

Mmm, a filiformis hybrid. When can we expect pictures?

Heh, the seed pods are still growing, so it will be a while. Of all things, the affinis crossed pod is the most swollen of all of them (fingers crossed)! I did harvest seeds from the Lantau x filiformis cross, though the capensis x fil failed along with likely the reverse direction of affinis. In other news, though, more capensis crosses have succeeded, and I'm working on a few with rotundifolia.
Sundewwolf, it can be very tricky to catch the flowers at just the right time. D. natalensis only seems to open for a couple hours early in the morning, spatulatas in the middle of the day, while ones like sp. Lantau and capensis stay open all day for me. I'm just lucky I happen to be home most days during the day to catch them (hence my already extensive and still growing list of new hybrids).

Another new one, has not reached flowering size yet but I can see signs of both parents: D. sp. Lantau Island x brevifolia

The leaves have more angular edges than Lantau, and are wider

Couple quick notes before pics: it appears I may have succeeded with the filiformis x affinis and Lantau crosses, there are sprouts in both batches. I have recently harvested multiple capensis crosses (both directions for the majority), multiple supposed rotundifolia crosses are sprouting (including with capensis 'Albino'), and I am working on new crosses with filiformis "FL All Red."

Now, for a couple pics: my D. madagascariensis x affinis cross was a success, with at least one hybrid plant resulting so far. It's intermediate between the parents, with a madag-leaning growth pattern and affinis-like leaves
15304969830_ea10b9c8a4.jpg

15304761509_0f18dfac1b.jpg

Looks cool!

Wow, that's sweet!

Another hybrid I haven't yet posted about: D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x anglica Oregon. A successful remake of D. x nagamotoi
D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x anglica Oregon by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Also, not sure if the filiformis-side cross with the intermedia Easton took ,but I may have a second shot, and there is a second All Red flower stalk coming up, so if it survives I may be able to cross it with my now-flowering intermedia Mt. Roraima, and produce a true tropical x hybrida!
Also still holding fingers crossed that one of my capensis plants and maybe affinis or madagascariensis will flower again so I can cross those with the filiformis. Exciting times indeed....

what photoperiod do you use for flowering your sundews? what kind of lights do you have?

I just use regular 2 or 4 foot T8 shop lights. They stay on for about 16 1/2 hours of the day, actually, from 6 in the morning to 10:30 at night. I'd like to have stronger lights of course, to increase color and flowering of the rarer species, but college students are limited on funds....

Another new hybrid showing its characteristics now, D. aliciae x sp. Lantau Island. The reverse cross is also sprouting ,but much younger at this point
D. aliciae x sp. Lantau Island by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
I also had this guy pop up in a pot with D. anglica "Alakai Swamp HI" plants. Some D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney' seeds spilled in too, but this guy doesn't match their growth pattern either. I'm guessing it's an anglica hybrid, but until it matures I have no clue
D. anglica Hawaii hybrid by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Back