Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hcarlton's hybrids

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More shots! I decided to take pics not only of those that have flowered, but also the ones which I know for sure are hybrids. Here goes:
    Shots of 3 different looking D. tokaiensis x intermedia Easton, MA

D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x "capillaris Long Arm"

D. capillaris Long Arm" x intermedia Easton, MA: some have really elongate petioles, so a few are for sure hybrids.

D. "capillaris Long Arm" x natalensis: suspicious here, because plants aren't much different from the seed parent, but no swelling seed pods yet. Will update here if that changes

D. "capillaris Long Arm" x sp. Lantau Island

D. spatulata "white flower" x 'Tamlin': technically not a hybrid, but interesting growth form on this new variety

Got plenty of extras here, and probably need to thin the pot out: D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island

Also need to thin this pot out: D. "capillaris Long Arm" x spatulata "white flower"
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a lot of hybrids! So many different crosses.

I am surprised that the D. tokaiensis x intermedia is so ground-hugging. 'Goes to show that you can't predict which traits will express from either parent no matter how likely it seems. It is cool to see the variation in the individuals from the same crosses.
    - Mark

The ignorance of man stains the land! Victoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome crosses, looks like you have been having fun.
    They are slowly and painfully killing you.....did you know that?

How brainwashed are you?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tokai x intermedia actually do hold their leaves slightly off the ground, more so in the one with the thinnest petioles, but yeah, for the most part they're ground huggers.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update on the capillaris (formerly Long Arm) x spatulata 'Tamlin': 2 plants reached maturity

A for the parentage, still working things out here: both the capillaris and my tokaiensis are extremely similar (though with some differences) and their hybrids are fully fertile, so I think they are the same species. They are both very similar to my D. x tokaiensis, both in leaf shape and flower color, but also similar to other pics I've seen of some capillaris forms. The D. capillaris "Costa Rica" makes things worse, as leaf shape is similar as well, though not quite the same, but flower color is notably lighter and I'd like to think the ICPS has that ID correct. So, parentage on some of my crosses is up in the air. All of the parents are sufficiently different to warrant at least being labeled separate clones, but still working on species ID.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one I haven't shown yet: D. natalensis x aliciae. I'm surprised the cross worked in this direction, as aliciae, due to low light, wasn't producing much pollen
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice dews ,you have inspired me to try again at hybrids this year,cheers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Another one I haven't shown yet: D. natalensis x aliciae. I'm surprised the cross worked in this direction, as aliciae, due to low light, wasn't producing much pollen
    An interesting plant. 'Reminds me a lot of D. slackii.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, turns out the natalensis x aliciae was just pure natalensis, so I redid the cross today, but the reverse seems to have taken:
    D. aliciae x natalensis

I also have made some other crosses with aliciae recently, including with sp. Lantau Island, brevifolia, and tokaiensis "B" once they ripen, we'll see which were successful.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering that one of the challenges is keeping the seed-parent plant from self-pollinating, ending up without a cross but with viable seeds seems almost inevitable from time to time.

Have you ever tried any crosses with capensis?
    - Mark

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast