Likes Likes:  3
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Hcarlton's hybrids

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Also, quick note, later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be posting photos of #4, D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm." A lot of similar crosses, I know, but each is interesting in its own way....
    'Looking forward to it. I'm really enjoying what you are doing and posting.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, here's the pics! D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm"

And here are the two hybrids next to a plant of the spat white flower that came up with them. You can see leaf shape, size, and to an extent, color changes
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big difference between those two. The leaves are quite different. The hybrid looks bigger, though it's hard to tell being as there are two of them. They definitely have longer petioles. Are all 3 plants about the same age? Have you seen much variation in the plants produced from the same seed sources?
    Last edited by bluemax; 02-12-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: corrected misspelling
    - Mark

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are all the same age, as they came from the same sowing of seeds, and the hybrids are certainly on a tendency to be bigger than the parents in most of the crosses. As for variation, only in growth speed, really, as some get massive in only a couple of months, and others still have yet to reach anything near a flowering size. Hybrids of the same kind all tend to turn out rather similar, so the crossings are consistent. That may change with the crosses involving more odd species, like madagascariensis or affinis (heads up for later posts ).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Again, I'm looking forward to it.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOO HOO! I have been eagerly anticipating this thread and you have not disappointed! Thanks Hcarl! I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More shots! I decided to take pics not only of those that have flowered, but also the ones which I know for sure are hybrids. Here goes:
    Shots of 3 different looking D. tokaiensis x intermedia Easton, MA

D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x "capillaris Long Arm"

D. capillaris Long Arm" x intermedia Easton, MA: some have really elongate petioles, so a few are for sure hybrids.

D. "capillaris Long Arm" x natalensis: suspicious here, because plants aren't much different from the seed parent, but no swelling seed pods yet. Will update here if that changes

D. "capillaris Long Arm" x sp. Lantau Island

D. spatulata "white flower" x 'Tamlin': technically not a hybrid, but interesting growth form on this new variety

Got plenty of extras here, and probably need to thin the pot out: D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island

Also need to thin this pot out: D. "capillaris Long Arm" x spatulata "white flower"
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a lot of hybrids! So many different crosses.

I am surprised that the D. tokaiensis x intermedia is so ground-hugging. 'Goes to show that you can't predict which traits will express from either parent no matter how likely it seems. It is cool to see the variation in the individuals from the same crosses.
    - Mark

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast