0 Thread(s)
    Great job!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Considering that one of the challenges is keeping the seed-parent plant from self-pollinating, ending up without a cross but with viable seeds seems almost inevitable from time to time.

Have you ever tried any crosses with capensis?
    Yeah, occasional contamination happens, especially if I don't catch the flower before it starts closing.....

I do have a couple crosses with capensis (hope to get more as my alba is flowering), including tokaiensis x capensis, sp. Lantau x capensis, and aliciae x capensis. None of the seeds from the cape side got the chance to ripen as the plants happened to be from my outside population, and the crosses done late in the year, but maybe this year....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    This one was a disappointment:

This was supposed to be sp. Lantau Island x madagascariensis. turns out, if the light is just a little lower, Lantau leaves easily fool. The flowers are producing seeds, so this is one more I must find a way to retry.

On the other hand, speaking of capensis crosses (see above post), here is the VERY successful: s. Lantau Island x capensis typical

I also have done both-way crosses using capensis alba just over the past couple days with Lantau, spat Fraser, brevifolia, and hopefully soon I will try aliciae, intermedia, maybe tokaiensis of spat Tamlin, and if I'm lucky: D. 'Dreamsicle' x capensis alba.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the s. Lantau Island x capensis. Those are some ambitious sounding cape crosses. Imagining capensis x brevifolia certainly makes me wonder. This is always an interesting thread.
    -Mark

A cold one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all. - SB

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    The leaves continue to get longer on the Lantau x cape, too. Also forgot to update: I also recently tried two-way crosses involving the cape alba with D. affinis and aliciae, along with various spatulata/tokaiensis varieties.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    D. tokaiensis x intermedia Carolina giant

D. natalensis x tokaiensis

And another shot of D. sp. Lantau Island x capensis typical

and flower
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! These are turning out fantastic! Have you tried any leaf cuttings? And when can we expect hcarltons hybrids to hit the mass market?
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    I already sell extras on ebay, and advertise on other forums where sales are allowed. I have plenty of extras of a lot of the spatulata x tokaiensis type crosses, and a few extras of many of the others too.
    Also, side note: with the filiformis FL giant flowering recently, I attempted crosses between it and D. capensis alba, sp. Lantau Island, and most exciting as it appears may have worked at least one direction: affinis.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    The natalensis x tokaiensis began flowering, petals are smaller and more rounded than the seed parent, and a darker shade of pink, so this confirms it as a successful cross!

Also, not a spectacular hybrid, but a new spatulata form made by crossing 'Tamlin' with "Pink flower, Royal National Park, Sydney." The resulting plants are larger than the pink flower plants, and have intermediate flower colors, resulting in a nice mauve, pale pink color.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I already sell extras on ebay, and advertise on other forums where sales are allowed. I have plenty of extras of a lot of the spatulata x tokaiensis type crosses, and a few extras of many of the others too.
    Also, side note: with the filiformis FL giant flowering recently, I attempted crosses between it and D. capensis alba, sp. Lantau Island, and most exciting as it appears may have worked at least one direction: affinis.
    Mmm, a filiformis hybrid. When can we expect pictures?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast