Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hcarlton's hybrids

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hcarlton's hybrids

Hey all,
    Over the past year or so I've been going all out trying to create a bunch of new hybrids, and I finally have the first one flowering: D. capillaris "Long Arm" x spatulata 'Tamlin':
    young plant

adult

The first flower just opened this morning, and though it leans toward the dark pink the capillaris parent had, it's nowhere near as deep

The next cross is due to flower in a couple weeks, D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin', and it's a lot more "graceful" looking, but this one is cool too.
    In the near future, I hope to put up pics of:
    D. capillaris Long Arm x dielsiana
    capillaris Long Arm x sp. Lantau Island
    sp. Lantau Island x madagascariensis
    tokaiensis x capensis
    .....and many others! Keep watching,
    ~hcarlton
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent work. Hybridizing Drosera takes an enormous amount of patience and a steady eye and hand. On the plus side is that you don't have to wait 5 or more years to see the results. Ivan Snyder would be proud.

Now work out the ploidy counts and see if you can predict which may be fertile.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! 'Very nicely done. Do you see any signs of hybrid vigor in this first cross?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the seeds were only planted like 4 months ago, so I'd say that's hybrid vigor. Same with the tokaiensis x spat 'Tamlin' that should be flowering soon. It's nearly as big as the Tamlin parent, and more colorful.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    the seeds were only planted like 4 months ago, so I'd say that's hybrid vigor. Same with the tokaiensis x spat 'Tamlin' that should be flowering soon. It's nearly as big as the Tamlin parent, and more colorful.
    Wow - from seed to flowers in only 4 months! That is vigorous.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, the next hybrid has flowered! I missed the actual opening of the flower, but the pic I took of the spent bud shows this one had a very bright pink flower, lighter than the above plant. This is the cross D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin', and the plant is bigger than either parent, possibly pushing 4+ inches across!

Most of my other hybrids are a long ways behind, so this thread might not have too many updates. Hopefully, though, I'll see some real growth on ones like sp. Lantau x madagascariensis, or D. tokaiensis x capensis, and be able to post those in a few months.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is very cool,i think i failed in my hybrids,did you remove the pollen of the seed parent flower and did you put any kind of small bag over the seed flower after you pollinated to ensure no bugs did any pollinating ,hope you know what i mean ,cheers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remove the anthers from both flowers before crossing them (I always try to do crosses both ways), and all my plants are in a greenhouse in my own house, so there are no bugs getting to them, at least not the pollinating kind.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast