User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera capensis water-float method?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera capensis water-float method?

I've read about the water-float method but I have not found detailed instructions.
    How exactly does one set up the water-float method for leaf cuttings and flower stalk cuttings?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I like to do it take a clear vial or test tube, fill it with purified water and leaf cuttings and stopper it. Then I lay it underneath grow lights and change the water about every two weeks. Watch for sprouts.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to do this routinely (because it's just so cool!) but recently it hasn't been working. I didn't think to change the water, do you think that the amount of growth in the adult plant has an effect on the success or failure of this method?
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind that capensis will be more likely to root from pullings rather than cuttings. Grip the leaf and pull gently downward removing as much of the leaf base from the stalk as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Bluemax, I usually use test tubes because I can fit a lot of them in a small space. I try to use fresh growth (leaves that are not covered in bugs) & I don't bother changing the water. I also usually stick the tubes on an east-facing windowsill (I don't know that direction matters - but that's what I have). For a longer thread on the topic - look over here.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all!
    Great link RL7836!

I've heard that the water-float method gets better results than placing cutting/pullings in substrate. Is that true for Drosera capensis?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience you get a higher strike rate with the water method but the plants grow much slower than strikes done in substrate.

And I find root cuttings are far more efficient than leaf cuttings/pullings for this species. Or just let them go to seed and you'll have dozens of them in as much time as it takes for cuttings to strike.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the water-float method work for me. I just put my leaf cutting in a shot glass with RO water and put a plastic bag over it. Then I set it under my lights and on my heat pad. It took a while but they started growing! The only problem I have is putting them into soil after they've started. Each time I add to soil they die! I'm going to try a longer stalk on my leaf cuttings..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast