What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy sundews in moist media

Cindy

Staff member
These were hardened from tissue culture and are growing on live sphagnum moss. I have seen D. puchella growing in swamps together with Cephalotus but the D. leioblastus is just an experiment.

D. puchella

D. puchella (orange and red vein)

D. leioblastus

I have pygmy sundews all over in my outdoors pots, many in live Sphagnum moss. They do well unless it gets hot enough for them to go dormant, then it is all bets off as I'm not going to dry out the pots with active growing species (usually Sarracenia) in them. Sometimes they survive, sometimes they don't. I haven't paid attention to the percentages.

Looks like your plants are going dormant.

D. scorpioides and D. omissa × nitidula are two that I know for sure are growing in Sphagnum. D. scorpioides is one that is found in drier environments.

Last edited:
Is the hairy centre indicative of dormancy?

Pygmies are cool-growing but I am looking at how the group of plants may be able to survive lowland conditions without air-conditioning.

D. carbarup

D. orepodion

D. occidentalis australis

D. puchella clump straight out of TC

Single D. puchella plantlet just removed from one of the clumps

D. puchella plantlet that is starting to grow and produce dew on the leaves

So much for relatively dry sandy peat media... LOL!

The carbarup and orepodion are obviously not liking it but they are looking more dormant than dead. The one that died right away was.... (let me check)

.... Closterostigma Mogumber

Last edited:
Is the hairy centre indicative of dormancy?

Usually. The plants form a "stipule bud" and stop growing leaves. If there is a touch of green in the center of the bud it is still alive.

I've been meaning to take photos of some of the species in dormancy but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this summer.

The label came off but I think they are likely D. carbarup.

D. carbarup, two weeks later

Back