What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of your Drosera eating things

ZooMed sells freeze-dried flies as "Anole Food" and are a nice way to supplement the care and feeding of Drosera. I should make my own as Joseph does.

Drosera react quite strongly to these. Perhaps it is the added vitamins and other goodies.

Drosera cistiflora
IMGP0019_zpsllwi5luv.jpg

IMGP0017_zpspho471ey.jpg

IMGP0016_zpsgl9qjsf3.jpg

IMGP0013_zpsbrugkqgd.jpg

IMGP0012_zpsjkpbsrdl.jpg

IMGP0011_zpsvqhgzlyy.jpg

IMGP0010_zps3umssjti.jpg

Not the best photo, but here's my nickle sized montana taking out a fly all by itself!

D. hookeri
IMGP0059_2_zpse9s20xsa.jpg

IMGP0053_zpsuujcon21.jpg

IMGP0034_zpslkjpvyys.jpg

One of my D. capensis, in time lapse. Prey isn't too thrilling... just a bit of Betta food.

Group effort!

q4Rfnmil.jpg

Ended up cutting it up to spread it around, bit of a waste otherwise.

Last edited:
It wasn't moving at all, so I guess it died of exhaustion/starvation. Upon reflection that might have been a worse way to go than being chopped up or drowned/suffocated.

The eternal struggle between staying upright and curling around the prey. Drosera finlaysonia with a mosquito it caught on its own though I did press its body against the leaf since it was just caught by the legs and one wing.

DZjqCqB.jpg

Last edited:
ZooMed sells freeze-dried flies as "Anole Food" and are a nice way to supplement the care and feeding of Drosera. I should make my own as Joseph does.

Drosera react quite strongly to these. Perhaps it is the added vitamins and other goodies.

I bought some dried blood worms for beta fish to feed a D. paradoxa. After reading on the CP Society website that you don't want to use fish food with additives, do you know if Vitamin E would be considered an additive that would harm the plant? What is in the anole food?

What is in the anole food?

"Anole Food" is a product made by Zoomed. Basically, it's dried flies that are coated with vitamins. They also make a product called "Leopard Gecko Food", which is the same thing . . . dried flies coated with vitamins. The humorous thing about these products, is that neither Anoles or Leopard Geckos seem to eat the mentioned Zoomed products.

However, "Anole Food" and "Leopard Gecko Food" seems to be wonderful for surface feeding fish and I've feed the foods to Cape Sundews and Neps with wonderful success! For sundews, I like to grind the flies into a powder, then add some water to make a paste. The Neps will eat them either way.

Here are photos of the products:
51oHBUHGlGL._SY300_.jpg

41bO5OgF6SL._AC_UL320_SR166,320_.jpg

Last edited:
Back