What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of your Drosera eating things

My D. capensis caught a good-sized housefly a few weeks ago. I was very proud and took some celebratory photos.

When I first noticed, around noon:

Around 4 hours later:

Click the photos for very high resolution. The fly was still twitching occasionally when I took that last photo. Drosera are intense.

That's a great catch!

I love that deep coloration, your capensis is fierce!

Nice! Even when I gave mine one, it wasn't able to keep it for long.

Drosera scorpioides
IMGP7481.jpg

Quite ambitious, huh?

Last edited:
Drosera intermedia in a mixed bog. Photo from July 2013.

That's a nice-looking intermedia! I can't wait until my seedlings get big and robust like that.

That's a great catch!

I love that deep coloration, your capensis is fierce!

Nice! Even when I gave mine one, it wasn't able to keep it for long.

Thanks! I'm very pleased with it. It gets lots and lots of light in a tray and produces great dew and nice red tentacles. It's so easy to grow, but it's still a favorite of mine :blush:

@ Jimscott: I'm guessing the fly got away? That's a nice shot.

Not much to see -- most of the cricket had been dissolved by the time I took this photo. It was a 2nd or 3rd instar cricket nymph that died before I could feed it to one of my tarantula slings, so rather than waste it it became binata food.

Today I noticed that my macrantha had caught a gnat on its stem rather than a trap. If you are familiar with macrantha, the whole plant, including the climbing stem and the petioles, is basically covered with tentacles. This was the first time I have seen it catch anything outside of a trap. I wonder if it is able to digest things caught on the stem and leaf bases.
Here are a couple pictures. In the first one you can see it to the immediate left of the pot, and in the second it is in the middle of the picture. Apologies for the images; the camera on my phone couldn't focus any closer.
DSC_0198_1.jpg

DSC_0201_1.jpg

Nice shots!!

I found two more gnats on the stem a few days ago:
DSC_0275_1.jpg

I wonder if there are any other Drosera species that have tentacles on their stems and petioles.

Drosera regia with fungus gnats. It caught them when the leaf only had a few tentacles, and the leaf isn't fully developed yet.
DSC_0278_1.jpg

'Looks like the leaves on that macrantha are catching things as well. Cool.

'Looks like the leaves on that macrantha are catching things as well. Cool.

Thanks. I had to feed the leaves myself, since all the gnats seem to be attracted to the regia rather than the macrantha.

D. regia vs crane fly
IMGP7239_zpsa3ce9cb5.jpg

IMGP7237_zps386c2bf9.jpg

D. lasiantha vs. some kind of gnat (?)

D. cistiflora

Are those eggs? (See 1st photo). I just noticed those. I'll have to look in the morning.
IMGP7606_zpsa250d749.jpg

IMGP7604_zps807ff4e8.jpg

IMGP7600_zps225ba556.jpg

IMGP7597_zps32c44c47.jpg

Last edited:
Back