Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Petiolaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautiful plants, they are hard to come by here in AU, same with N.Tenax and Rowanae, they are native yet are almost impossible to get in AU, also although most petiolaris die down in the dry season I have seen wild Lanata growing in the heart of the dry because they found permanent wet seeps.

The ignorance of man stains the land! Victoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent growing! That D. linata is a beauty. Thanks for sharing your setup, its always nice to see how others grow their CPs.

Happy growing;
    Victoria
    They are slowly and painfully killing you.....did you know that?

How brainwashed are you?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Then I found out that they go dormant too during low light levels (usually the case for the year end months with loads of rain). And this dormancy often results in losses. Last year, I kept them going with high light levels under T5 lights. Seems to work so far.
    That is news to me and I've never heard of low light levels causing dormancy in other Drosera. Petiolaris 'dews are different in many ways, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    beautiful plants, they are hard to come by here in AU, same with N.Tenax and Rowanae, they are native yet are almost impossible to get in AU, also although most petiolaris die down in the dry season I have seen wild Lanata growing in the heart of the dry because they found permanent wet seeps.
    I'm surprised that they are hard to come by in Australia. I believe there is a vigorous CP community there. 'Cool that the D. lanata plants can grow through the hottest of the summer given water. That would explain their love of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Excellent growing! That D. linata is a beauty. Thanks for sharing your setup, its always nice to see how others grow their CPs.

Happy growing;
    Victoria
    'Glad you like the photos. I am hoping to see what others have done.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    That is news to me and I've never heard of low light levels causing dormancy in other Drosera. Petiolaris 'dews are different in many ways, it seems.
    Yep, that is from the growing experiences of the growers here. We all thought it was temperature at first but we are hot year round...hardly even warm by temperate standards. The plants go dormant at about the same time as the Vfts and Sarracenia and after checking with each other, we do think light plays the biggest part. During the year end, we have reduced light levels because of the rains. And also since most of us are apartment growers, a change in season sometimes mean light no longer shines directly into the growing area for a few months. We haven't been able to validate the "theory" as there aren't that many garden growers who have their petiolaris complex plants growing in the open to compare with. These plants are hard to come by so most of the growers keep them indoors and protected from the torrential rain. LOL

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy - It would be interesting to try out lowered light levels under artificial lighting and see if one gets the same results. On the other hand I avoid dormancy like the plague. As you mentioned you never know if the plants will wake up at all. I have heard that there are growers who induce/allow dormancy year after year. Do they just deal with the losses or have they figured out how to minimize them? I wonder.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D. paradoxa temperature question

Drosera paradoxa is the most tolerant, or at least one of the most tolerant, petiolaris sundews when it comes to cool temperatures. They will continue to grow in temperatures that have other species completely shut down and dormant. Has anyone watched D. paradoxa become dormant due to low temperatures? If so, at what temperature did the plant(s) become dormant?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mark, there is lot of literature pertaining to the plants going dormant in summer in the wild. But I haven't read anywhere that they go dormant with low temperatures or low light levels...These are experienced by temperate and tropical growers as well. Have you come across any literature about cold dormancy?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Cindy. I haven't, and I'm just assuming that dormancy could be induced this way. I make such an effort to ward off dormancy that I have only seen two species go dormant and never D. paradoxa. Having done some quick reviewing I've found one source, the AIPC publication The Petiolaris Complex by Maurizio Saroldi, states that D. paradoxa remains growing in a diminished form during the dry season in its natural habitat. This makes me wonder if this species has the capacity to go dormant. Have you seen it do so?
    - Mark

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast