Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Petiolaris

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There isn't much day length variation at the latitudes these are found 12-18S, maybe 1.5-2 hours either way at the most. The lowest average temperatures that I can find in the area is 13C (55F). More typical is around 18C (64F) in the winter. Mean monthly rainfall can be as low as 1.2mm during the winter.

My plants experience winter temperatures at night around 64-68F (18-20C). The only ones that have ever gone dormant on me are D. paradoxa. It has been remarked by other growers that D. paradoxa seems to go dormant at random times. Light on the tank are on 14 hours a day. I do not vary the photoperiod but there is plenty of ambient daylight too. They seem to flower on cue around the same time each year.

Lowrie mentions that the soil takes on an almost concrete texture during the dry dormancy period for some of the species in one of his papers.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We experience random dormancy by D. paradoxa too...which is why we do the divide and conquer strategy. Manual divisions for backups against losses. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know D.Lanata can get nights as cold as 5-6C in winter, but this is normally only for a few nights at a time, and the days are still in excess of 24C, so I would imagine it would have to get pretty cold for a sustained period to induce a dormancy, there is a population near a town called Herberton, and they have recorded temps as low as 1-3C, but 5-6C is the coldest I have ever recorded at a location with them (west of Mareeba near a mates place) and it is never sustained for more than a few nights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also there is a rumour that -5C was recorded at Herberton, but I am yet to meet anyone who can confirm it.
    D.Burmanni, Indica, Banksii, Spathulata and Utricularia Limosa, Nivea, Uliginosa, Bifida, Aurea, Gibba and a few other utrics also live there.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    @Jimscott: That's Vancouver, Washington State. We're across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon.
    In that case.... who's your buddy!? If you ever get seeds...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    My plants experience winter temperatures at night around 64-68F (18-20C). The only ones that have ever gone dormant on me are D. paradoxa. It has been remarked by other growers that D. paradoxa seems to go dormant at random times.
    These are cooler temps than I would've expected. What are the daylight temperatures like?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    We experience random dormancy by D. paradoxa too...which is why we do the divide and conquer strategy. Manual divisions for backups against losses. LOL
    Random dormancy is kind of a scary concept. 'Guess we have answered the question about paradoxa dormancy. Divide and conquer, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    I know D.Lanata can get nights as cold as 5-6C in winter, but this is normally only for a few nights at a time, and the days are still in excess of 24C, so I would imagine it would have to get pretty cold for a sustained period to induce a dormancy, there is a population near a town called Herberton, and they have recorded temps as low as 1-3C, but 5-6C is the coldest I have ever recorded at a location with them (west of Mareeba near a mates place) and it is never sustained for more than a few nights.
    Wow! That is extreme. It's great to have temperature data from the area of the native growing sites.

I have spoken to a commercial grower who has grown petiolaris 'dews and he reports success with temps down into the mid 50 degree F. range (low 'teens C.) as long as daytime temperatures made it up into the 80's. (high 20's to low 30's C.) So, it seems the idea that wooly sundews cannot continue growing if they experience more moderate temperatures is a myth. This certainly makes it an easier proposition for someone without crazy heating devices to grow them. Another growing concept I have heard is that petiolaris complex sundews don't like temperature swings. This also seems to be contradicted.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some beautiful petiolaris Droseras you have there. Is that D. falconeri?

I've just recently acquired some paradoxa, ordensis and broomensis seeds. Looking forward to them germinating. They should be easy to maintain here in Trinidad but time will tell.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    In that case.... who's your buddy!? If you ever get seeds...
    Seeds are something I'm currently trying to run down. We'll see...
    - Mark

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast