Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Petiolaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    low 60s is tolerable, but yes, the plants can operate in those conditions. the higher the daytime temps the better if you're going to pursue this route. if you could insulate the tank, you might be able to bump up the temps to 65F at night, which is a safer range.
    Last edited by amphirion; 03-29-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was thinking about getting one of those seed starting heat mats to put under the tray and it would raise the temps 10 to 20 degrees F, but before i check out $23.00 on one i might try insulating better. then again i might just get one to be safe in case of an exceptionally cold night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be something as easy as encasing the tank with styrofoam slabs.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya i'm not using a terrarium, i'm using a shelf with a 4 foot light fixture sealed in with bubble wrap and reflective insinuative material but i could still do somthing like that...

and, Hey thanks for the advice and words of encouragement!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robster_24 View Post
    Hey, what is the source of your humidity? is it just a tray and your terrarium keeps all the humidity in? because i don't have a terrarium but in the setup I'm experimenting in the humidity is right at 40% humidity when it is 97 degrees F and at night the humidity is 80/90% when the temps are in the low 70's. do you guys think this will work? thanks for the help!

PS. I don't have any plants yet I'm experimenting before i get any. And any newbie tips you can give on growing petiolaris complex sundews would be much appreciated!
    I have been told that at least some petiolaris 'dews can do fine with temps into the 50's (F.) as long as they see temperatures into the 80's during the day. Amphirion is the more experienced grower so I would take his advice.

The humidity source is a layer of water at the bottom of the tank my plants are growing in. They are in pots in small trays on a raised platform of egg crate. There is a very small fan that blows down against the surface of the water and circulates the air throughout the terrarium. There is also a glass cover on top.

In my experience petiolaris 'dews like bottom heat so a heating mat might be a good way to go. I would suggest that you start your collection with D. paradoxa which seems to be more tolerant overall than some of the other members of the group.
    Last edited by bluemax; 03-30-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banksii and petiolaris are a world apart, no relation there, same with subtilis, they are unique and appear to be a tuberous drosera at first glance (like a pygmy peltata), but instead grow like burmanni or indica as a annual (although some burmanni and indica can live for a few years if they hit the right bog/seep).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you guys, and Mark you mentioned that you have a fan to circulate the air in your tank, is this this absolutely necessary to have good air circulation? because in my setup it is almost completely sealed in. Will this work or would you recommend a fan for circulation?
    Last edited by Robster_24; 03-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautiful dews bluemax thanks for sharing

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast