Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Petiolaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you guys had success with growing from seeds? i am considering growing from seed because i rarely see adult plant for sale other than D. Falconeri and D. Petiolaris. So if you guys have had success with seeds please let me know!!! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rob: it's a mixed bag, most of the seed in circulation, especially species seed, is old, most with dismal germination rates, but i think this has to do with how the seeds were stored if anything. Rare Exotic Seeds in canada has decent germination rates for ordensis.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    Banksii and petiolaris are a world apart, no relation there, same with subtilis, they are unique and appear to be a tuberous drosera at first glance (like a pygmy peltata), but instead grow like burmanni or indica as a annual (although some burmanni and indica can live for a few years if they hit the right bog/seep).
    I agree that D. banksii is an oddball. Not only in being an annual plant but the appearance seems more in line with the tuberous sundews. Still, the few sources I can see that mention it place it with the petiolaris complex. There is a lot of work to be done with the taxonomy of these plants and I wouldn't be surprised to see changes in the future. What little I can find out about D. subtilis places it with the tuberous sundews.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robster_24 View Post
    Thanks you guys, and Mark you mentioned that you have a fan to circulate the air in your tank, is this this absolutely necessary to have good air circulation? because in my setup it is almost completely sealed in. Will this work or would you recommend a fan for circulation?
    I wanted to increase humidity and cut back on fungus, which was a problem when feeding, so I put in the fan. It's done the job but I don't think it is essential. If I was putting together a new setup I would go without awhile and see if there is a reason I needed one.

I have grown D. dilatato-petiolaris from seed. It wasn't difficult as Drosera seed goes. On the other hand I received a packet of D. broomensis seed that never germinated. I agree with Amphirion that getting good seed is probably the main challenge.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again guys ill try and snatch up any live plants that i see for sale and only resort to seed if i really want the plant or i think the seed is good quality!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Good Resource Links

I was drooling over some great photos of sundews the other day and I came across a link to a magazine with a paper describing the more newly-listed petiolaris sundew species. Sometimes I wonder if I actually have the right species name and I am guessing maybe a few more out there have had the same issue. There are even line-drawn illustrations: http://florabase.dpaw.wa.gov.au/nuytsia/article/253

And if you don't know about the CP Photofinder you are in for some hours of amazement: http://cpphotofinder.com/
    Last edited by bluemax; 04-04-2014 at 12:20 AM.
    - Mark

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those look great, Jimscott. They are the most traps I've ever seen in a photo of Drosera caduca.
    - Mark

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast