Likes Likes:  8
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Petiolaris

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... perhaps we can do a trade sometime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats a good watering schedule for petiolaris plants? how high should the water be in the tray? and should i let the water evaporate before watering again? thanks!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It partly depends on the height of the pots you use but I use 4" to 6" tall disposable cups to pot in and I have the water levels at about 1/2" in the trays they stand in. I find the plants like being top-watered about once a week and as long as they don't get dry it is o.k. to let the water level go down in the tray between refillings. A periodic top-flushing of the pots, say every 2 months or so, will help keep the soil 'sweet'. At least this has worked for me.
    - Mark

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Allen Lowrie's new Magnum Opus Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vols 1,2 &3 is shipping. The will be plenty of the latest on the Petiolaris Complex (or whatever it may be called now). Expect some reclassification.

http://icps.proboards.com/post/38911

I'd include links to the books on Redfern but don't want to appear to be a spammer
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-17-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    A periodic top-flushing of the pots, say every 2 months or so, will help keep the soil 'sweet'. At least this has worked for me.
    I had a horrible time trying to keep my pots from being anaerobic. Forbes didn't even try & his pots were very anaerobic - & his Petio's grew like weeds - they cared a lot less than I did - silly me!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I was drooling over some great photos of sundews the other day and I came across a link to a magazine with a paper describing the more newly-listed petiolaris sundew species. Sometimes I wonder if I actually have the right species name and I am guessing maybe a few more out there have had the same issue. There are even line-drawn illustrations: http://florabase.dpaw.wa.gov.au/nuytsia/article/253
    When I saw this post, I was surprised to hear that there were more species added to section Lasiocephala - but alas - the list was "new" in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I'd include links to the books on Redfern but don't want to appear to be a spammer
    When it's something good, it's not really spam
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Number: An important event for sure. If anyone is going to buy the series and wants to do a summery of changes or additions for the petiolaris 'dews that would be excellent.

RL7836: Sorry about getting your hopes up on "new" species. Now we need a summary article of Lowries' new taxonomy for the CPN, perhaps.

I find when I repot that my plants deal with anaerobic conditions often. 'Doesn't seem to cause any real problems. Just the same it does make me wonder if there is a better way that wouldn't be a lot of effort.
    Last edited by bluemax; 04-17-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, my new Drosera Paradoxa (thank you Bluemax!) is producing anther plant on is stem. I'll try to post pics later when I get home, but how long should I let it grow before removing it for repotting? Thanks!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robster_24 View Post
    Hey, my new Drosera Paradoxa is producing anther plant on is stem. I'll try to post pics later when I get home, but how long should I let it grow before removing it for repotting? Thanks!
    I generally remove and pot the plantlets on paradoxa when they are about 3/8s of an inch long. It is important to keep the soil a bit on the extra moist side for the first few weeks. Lots of humidity helps, as well. I try to cut off the plantlets as close to the main stem as possible without damaging it.
    Last edited by bluemax; 04-24-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    - Mark

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast