What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Such "woolly" goodness!

Ha! Thanks, DJ!

You have some very nice plants there! You should try to get ahold of a Drosera derbyensis though. It's the wooliest of the wooly sundews, but I understand it can be hard to get ahold of a true pure species specimen in the US.

Thanks, Nimbulan! Which is the most woolly is probably a matter of opinion, I am thinking. Compared side by side I find D. broomensis woollier but another with the same view might disagree. It's worth noting that I re-edited the last photo as I didn't think the earlier version showed the mass of wool as well as it might've.

Watch out trying to seperate broomensis. Those things hold on for dear life. Most species in the complex easily seperate but I had to get out a razor blade to divide my broomensis.

I am looking forward to being able to separate crowns on this one but so far it is resolutely one-headed. Thanks for the warning.

They are SO beautiful!

Thank you, Jim!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how difficult it would be to find a plant that looks like this, but this is the official Wikipedia picture of Drosera derbyensis:

Drosera_derbyensis_ne1.JPG

A perfect, sticky, little pin cushion.

Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread, beautiful plants! My setup is similar, but much lazier: I have a grow tent in which I keep most of my lowland plants. You're right, definitely pretty low maintenance so long as they're warm, moist, and well-lit. Would love to grow more than just the two I have one day.

Last edited:
Is this Drosera brevicornis dead?

vzVHXM3.jpg

My Drosera caduca is coming back from dormancy, and I hope that the brevicornis will too.

3UVZpsp.jpg

Drosera lanata has survived where my Drosera paradoxa didn't.

s6g0I7Y.jpg

And it isn't in the best shape but Drosera derbyensis is flowering.

6wxx0Rt.jpg

55M7zt5.jpg

Tanukimo - Do you allow your petiolaris sundews to go dormant each year? In my opinion, if it still has green on it then it isn't dead. I hope your D. brevicornis comes back for you.

Last edited:
Tanukimo - Do you allow your petiolaris sundews to go dormant each year? In my opinion, if it still has green on it then it isn't dead. I hope your D. brevicornis comes back for you.

I wasn't trying to make them go dormant but I guess some of them did anyways. A while back I thought I had lost the caduca, so I'll just hope for the best.

I am expecting to find the time to get back to my woolies soon. As it is I have several new species from tc that I am hoping to rear. I can't help but wonder how everyone else is doing with theirs'...

Great thread!

Here are my two falconeri plants, the day I got them (10/24/16), and this morning (11/5/16):
33D9A5DE-664A-445B-A8B7-3C50F46E985A_zpszbdljg9l.jpg

It is fun to see your D. falconeri coloring up. This is certainly one of the most distinctive of the sundews.

It is fun to see your D. falconeri coloring up. This is certainly one of the most distinctive of the sundews.
It definitely is! I didn't think it would start growing new leaves so quickly after receiving it.

I like how much D. falconeri leaves look like Dionaea leaves.

Yes, one of the things I love about petiolaris sundews is that when they are happy and settled in they grow very quickly.

I only have D. lanata:

101_95811_zpstvh8ncb5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_95251_zpswb00ye69.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the Hot Tank revisited

In the last year or so I have made many changes to my petiolaris growing terrarium, nicknamed the Hot Tank. This terra is in a room that is warm in summer but quite cool in winter. I have had trouble with keeping it warm enough about half of the year so I have made modifications and now I feel that particular issue is dealt with.

The thermostat that makes it all work together to keep the temps above 80F.
PB187892.jpg

The white cord goes to two heating mats, one which is on the back of the 29 gallon tank and the other which is underneath. The thin black cord goes inside the terra and ends with the temperature sensor.

PB187906.jpg

The two white lines point to the heating mats.
PB187905.jpg

An overview of the inside of the tank.
PB187904.jpg

I use a fan to keep the air moving around and to minimize fungal growth. The fan is at the bottom of the photo and the upright tube draws warm air from the upper part of the tank and moves it to the bottom where it flows through the egg crate bottom, which is on 2-inch legs, and back out again. The flat lid keeps condensation that is dripping from the cover glass from getting into the fan.
PB187898.jpg

A detail showing one of the watering trays made from an aluminum baking tray.
PB187905.jpg

The light set-up is a sort of a mule I have been using for various screw-in type LED bulbs. There are 6 different types of units in there right now and though I have decided which I would use to make replacements with it will probably be awhile before I need to do so. Here it is from the side.
PB187894.jpg

And from the top.
PB187907.jpg

Oh no - I have convinced myself that these guys are out of my reach, fearing I could never get the temperatures needed over the winter months. This is pure temptation. Gorgeous plants and love the ingenuity (and progression) of the set-up.

Someone sent me this little guy because it wasn't doing well for him, and within a week of bagging it up and putting it near my existing healthy D. falconeri clump, it went from...

This...
CF932B31-45A2-4917-B0AA-749F15077D09_zps3f1emjbx.jpg

...to this:
F471C130-2617-4FE4-BDCC-483D08A21F14_zpssa92adms.jpg

OMG, you tell me about it but to finally see your petiolaris collection in whole I had no idea how nice it looks. Hmmm, makes one reconsider thoughts about getting into these setups (damn you, ha). So jealous! Looks like all your hard work has paid off, good growing.

Love it! Looks like I'm going to look into finding the cash to scrap together a setup like this (and find the room). Will also be a nice spot for my plants that like it hot, but I don't always have hot conditions for throughout the year.

Someone sent me this little guy because it wasn't doing well for him, and within a week of bagging it up and putting it near my existing healthy D. falconeri clump, it went from...

This...
CF932B31-45A2-4917-B0AA-749F15077D09_zps3f1emjbx.jpg

...to this:
F471C130-2617-4FE4-BDCC-483D08A21F14_zpssa92adms.jpg

An obvious improvement! Nice.

Thanks for the kind words about my 'hot tank'.

I wanted to point out that the heating mat in the back of the tank is one I bought for germinating seeds and can only increase temperatures to about 80F degrees. I use it to help with heating the volume of the 29 gallon tank. The real workhorse is the heating mat on the bottom of the tank which is of the animal terrarium type. It can produce temperatures of more than 90 degrees F. Both types are about the same price but the animal type is what you would want for petiolaris 'dews, generally.

Last edited:
Back