Likes Likes:  8
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Petiolaris

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a cluster of basal leaves. It takes several weeks but they do sprout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job jimscott!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I was wondering if the humidity is too low in my enclosure during the day? (I have the plants under domes right now so the humidity is not a factor.) here's what my temp/humidity gauge says...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait is that humidity under the dome? My humidity keeps frying my acurite gauges because it gets to high (and I sometimes spray it when I water haha). I would try and keep your humidity at least around 60%. That seems to be the lowest I could see from a quick shoot around google.

If you need to boost humidity and you are using the Mondi style 10x20 seedling trays like me (i.e. not using a false bottom) put a layer of sphagnum about 1" thick across the bottom. Still keep the water table at 1/2" so your pots still get plenty of water, but with the added sphagnum layer you dramatically increase the surface area from which water can evaporate. More evaporation = more humidity! My setup is usually between 90-95F and 70-75% humidity during the day. I haven't checked night time temps/humidity in awhile but will do that later tonight. My plants are nocturnal like me and don't turn off until 2am haha.

Also, a good resource for cultivation techniques is always wikipedia'ing the plants local climate. Here's Darwin, Australia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin,...ritory#Climate

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, prefer higher humidity levels. Generally, 70% and up. Can you grow petiolaris 'dews in lower humidity? I don't know, but I do wonder. Maybe they could be weaned to lower levels with time?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well what gets me is that the humidity is really high at night and really low when the lights are on. so you use sphagnum on the bottom of your tray to make the evaporation increase, but does the sphagnum have to be alive or can i use the dead stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the dead long fibered sphagnum. At those temps you will fry your live sphag. I prefer besgrow NZ sphag. You have to order it online but it is leaps and bounds better than all the other sphag I have used. Incredibly clean, long, and super fluffy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's just a quick snap. I only had about half a handful of sphag in there before and was averaging about 70. I went ahead and added the rest about an hour ago and am already up to 80% humidity. I had to remove one of my lights and all the aluminum foil to do this so temps have dropped down to around 88. I'll check in a couple hours once it heats back up to 95 to tell you the humidity then.

Oh I am holding the lid up in the picture so you can see inside. It is normally shut.

The only thing that is bothering me about the setup now is no air circulation. Once my main terrarium is back online (which is only about 5 feet away) I can run an extension from the computer power supply to a fan hung inside the dome. Until then evaporation is my only source of air movement.
    Last edited by rcl27; 05-02-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast