What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera dielsiana?

Hi folks,

I've been growing this Drosera as D. dielsiana and was wondering if it's something else. It sort of looks like a rotundifolia hybrid but I'm really not sure. The only thing that I'm sure about is that it doesn't look like any of the dielsiana pics I've seen online.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Congrats, you have D. tokaiensis. This thing is mistaken for a lot of plants. I had it come from seeds mislabeled as rotundifolia, and plants that I thought were capillaris seem to really be these plants. Whether or not it produces viable seeds will tell you if you have the species or hybrid form.

Wow you could tell from just those pics?

I have this one labelled as tokaiensis though, so which one is this:
attachment.php

Which seed is viable, the specie or hybrid? Because I have a lot of seeds from it, some of which germinated already in the same container.

The hybrid, x tokaiensis, is sterile. The "species" tokaiensis will produce tons of seeds. As for the plants above, they look more like capillaris, due to leaf shape and the relatively straight petioles. You'll notice how abruptly the lamina starts rounding out at the end of the petiole, compared to tokaiensis. I've had trouble with both species for a while now, as all my "capillaris" forms are turning out tokaiensis. I'm even second-guessing the Costa Rica form from the ICPS, so now I'm looking for replacements.

I used to always wonder how you folks are so good at identifying the different species lol. Thanx for the ID... maybe you could take a look at the few pics I have in my Drosera album and tell me if I have them labelled correctly. I'm feeling a bit frustrated knowing that I got seeds that were mislabelled :crap: ... I feel like these rosette-forming sundews could be anything now... sigh.

Actually, I was recently looking through pictures of the 2 species I mentioned, and turns out there may be more here than we think. I found pictures of D. capillaris (or supposedly that species), from both in cultivation and the wild, that look a lot like tokaiensis. I'm still fairly certain the plants in your second pic are capillaris, but the ones in your first pic may well be either one. I'm starting to wonder myself just how many mislabeled plants there are out there, because there are pics aplenty of capillaris that look both like the capillaris that I'm familiar with, and the ones in my collection that look identical to the supposed tokaiensis. May well want to hold off putting a label on the plants in the first picture until there's certain evidence either way. If the flower turns out white or light pink, probably tokaiensis. If it's bright to deep pink.... seems like it could be either one.
Also, almost no one actually has D. dielsiana in cultivation. Most are mislabeled D. natalensis, which are nearly identical save for certain flower structures and seed shape.

Hmmmm.... well I guess to wait a little longer is not that bad.

The flowers for the plant in the first pic is a bright pink, small flowers about 0.5-1 cm in diameter.

I have this one labelled as Drosera capillaris but wondering now if I got the labels for these three plants mixed up and it's really what was supposed to be D. dielsiana:

attachment.php

Now those do look like natalensis (and I say this as that's what they probably are, most "dielsiana" are mislabeled natalensis). The wide petioles, denser hair, stocky overall appearance.... looks like you had some label mix-ups for sure.

Oh my gosh :0o: ... I am so laughing right now... not sure if to cry at the mislabelling

Ok, so here's my Drosera natalensis:
attachment.php

Assuming I have these labeled correctly, the little rosettes in the pot with the D. capensis and D. nidiformis, all the way to the left, are D. tokaiensis.

24o7n95.jpg

Nice plants you have there NatchGreyes.

My capillaris looks nothing like yours, or does my tokaiensis :confused:. I wish these was a Drosera expert here in Trinidad to take a good look at my plants and figure out what they are. :down:

Looked through your album, looks to me like what you have IDed is correct, except for the few plants you've listed here. I think the plants in your first post might be capillaris. Personally, I'd put a few in higher light to see how they color up then repost. For whatever reason, plants in lower lighting can look a little different.

Thanx a million NatchGrayes for your help on the matter. Between you and Hcarlton I think I'm a little more settled and can definitely ID the second pic in the post as D. capillaris. I'll take your advice and see if I can get some of the greener ones to "color up" with some more exposure to sunlight and post some pics later on.

Here's another shot of what I have labeled as D. tokaiensis. Again, I'm not 100% that's what it is.

2ewdrgz.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention flower color. D. capillaris will have white or (rarely) very pale, almost white, pink flowers. D. tokaiensis and D. dielsiana will have purple flowers. Mine have very bright, purple flowers.

I noticed on wikipedia that some D. capillaris pictures have bright pink flowers. I can't see the plant, but I believe these are mislabeled. I can't recall ever seeing a D. capillaris with such bright flowers.

Well the capillaris hasn't flowered as yet but looking forward to it.

Also could this be tokaiensis or is it natalensis like Hcarlton said?
attachment.php

I don't know anything about D. natalensis, so I couldn't tell you.

Ah ok... well hopefully I can get some more IDs. Thanx for all your help.

Natch, your tiny plants in the capensis pot are not tokaiensis. If anything, they look like a compact form of natalensis (the famously mislabeled as dielsiana), same as what I identified for Stasisgate. Also, your cap is definitely part of the "long arm" group, which is actually rather distinct as it looks very similar to a cross between a typical cap and intermedia, only fertile. The lamina shape for the whole species though is pretty distinct.
Unfortunately, if it's true capillaris never have bright pink flowers, and the shape isn't as variable as I thought it might be, I am now looking for replacement plants of D. capillaris "Long Arm", a typical form (my supposed "Costa Rica" plants), and I will need to contact the ICPS seedbank to let them know there are mislabeled seeds there.

Back