Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera dielsiana?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera dielsiana?

Hi folks,

I've been growing this Drosera as D. dielsiana and was wondering if it's something else. It sort of looks like a rotundifolia hybrid but I'm really not sure. The only thing that I'm sure about is that it doesn't look like any of the dielsiana pics I've seen online.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Stasisgate; 03-10-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them - A.A. Milne

I think I'm addicted

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, you have D. tokaiensis. This thing is mistaken for a lot of plants. I had it come from seeds mislabeled as rotundifolia, and plants that I thought were capillaris seem to really be these plants. Whether or not it produces viable seeds will tell you if you have the species or hybrid form.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow you could tell from just those pics?

I have this one labelled as tokaiensis though, so which one is this:

Which seed is viable, the specie or hybrid? Because I have a lot of seeds from it, some of which germinated already in the same container.

I think I'm addicted

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hybrid, x tokaiensis, is sterile. The "species" tokaiensis will produce tons of seeds. As for the plants above, they look more like capillaris, due to leaf shape and the relatively straight petioles. You'll notice how abruptly the lamina starts rounding out at the end of the petiole, compared to tokaiensis. I've had trouble with both species for a while now, as all my "capillaris" forms are turning out tokaiensis. I'm even second-guessing the Costa Rica form from the ICPS, so now I'm looking for replacements.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to always wonder how you folks are so good at identifying the different species lol. Thanx for the ID... maybe you could take a look at the few pics I have in my Drosera album and tell me if I have them labelled correctly. I'm feeling a bit frustrated knowing that I got seeds that were mislabelled ... I feel like these rosette-forming sundews could be anything now... sigh.

I think I'm addicted

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I was recently looking through pictures of the 2 species I mentioned, and turns out there may be more here than we think. I found pictures of D. capillaris (or supposedly that species), from both in cultivation and the wild, that look a lot like tokaiensis. I'm still fairly certain the plants in your second pic are capillaris, but the ones in your first pic may well be either one. I'm starting to wonder myself just how many mislabeled plants there are out there, because there are pics aplenty of capillaris that look both like the capillaris that I'm familiar with, and the ones in my collection that look identical to the supposed tokaiensis. May well want to hold off putting a label on the plants in the first picture until there's certain evidence either way. If the flower turns out white or light pink, probably tokaiensis. If it's bright to deep pink.... seems like it could be either one.
    Also, almost no one actually has D. dielsiana in cultivation. Most are mislabeled D. natalensis, which are nearly identical save for certain flower structures and seed shape.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm.... well I guess to wait a little longer is not that bad.

The flowers for the plant in the first pic is a bright pink, small flowers about 0.5-1 cm in diameter.

I have this one labelled as Drosera capillaris but wondering now if I got the labels for these three plants mixed up and it's really what was supposed to be D. dielsiana:

I think I'm addicted

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now those do look like natalensis (and I say this as that's what they probably are, most "dielsiana" are mislabeled natalensis). The wide petioles, denser hair, stocky overall appearance.... looks like you had some label mix-ups for sure.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast