What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Tray of Adalea"

• Thread starter tommyr
  • Start date

tommyr

Gardening freak!
This is my 4 year old "Tray of Adalea". Taken yesterday. About once a year I have to go in and thin out the dead / dying stuff and eventually those bare spots fill right back in.

OkPbcyF.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I love carnivores planted en masse.

Thanks. CPs are SO fun to grow.

I love adelae. It one of my faves. Best thing I have seen all day. I'm going to steal this idea.

Very impressive! This has never grown well for me at all. I'm jealous. I want to see the flowers in person!!!

I love adelae. It one of my faves. Best thing I have seen all day. I'm going to steal this idea.

By all means go for it! That tray started as one plant originally. Adelae even pops new plants out from the bottom of pots under water!

When they are happy they pop up everywhere! Some clones are better than others. I had one that would die no matter what I did. Got a few new clones and those are bomb proof.

I have a giant clone that has cream flowers at the moment. Not the traditional red. Been snapping pics but haven't uploaded them yet.

Ooh, nice. I like how the immature plants have leaves that are shaped differently from normal leaves, tapered on both sides. How many plants did you start out with?

Very nice! A perfect example of the alleged weediness of this species. Of course I fall into the crowd that can't keep it alive though. :lol:

Very nice! A perfect example of the alleged weediness of this species. Of course I fall into the crowd that can't keep it alive though. :lol:

I'm the same with most of my utrics. Sandersonii, bisquamata, longifolia, livida and subulata just don't seem to spread for me. Not even the "weedy" ones grow.

This species is abit of a weed here and regularly invades nepenthes and utric pots in the greenhouse for me, it spreads particularly well by roots which can run along a bench for a few centimetres then send a plant out.
And leaf cuttings in pure water produce many plantlets, on average I find that a single 15cm long leaf left in pure H20 will make anywhere from 20-30 plantlets, sometimes more, they literally spring out touching each other.
They also spread faster in certain substrates (like most carns) for example I find that in pure sand or peat mixes they spread fast but make smaller plants, but in mosses (leucobryum or spag) they spread less but make much larger plants.

I should also add that it lives here, hence my conditions in my greenhouse are more than perfect as they are like a permanent wet summer, so the dry that would normally effect them doesn't.

How many plants did you start out with?

One plant originally. Started doing leaf cuttings which take pretty easy. But the roots travel and produce new plants like crazy.

D. adelae reminds me of Toonces the cat. It starts off well and then bad things happen. I can't seem to prevent them from going into a coma and can't bring them out of it.

D. adelae reminds me of Toonces the cat. It starts off well and then bad things happen. I can't seem to prevent them from going into a coma and can't bring them out of it.

I do nothing special to mine Jim, bright light, some afternoon west Sun. Rainwater in the tray/pots about 1/2" deep. I have one under a T5 for 2 years that are deep red in color. I just moved it to an east window. I'll take a photo of it and post it here later today.

Here's the photo of the more reddish Adalea. The container is 4" x 6" and 2 1/2" deep.

Wow! I've never seen adelae that red before. The leaves on the smaller plants kind of look like capensis leaves.

That little container is LOADED with Adaleas. crammed full.

Back