Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My cranky old capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll repot shortly for sure then, been shopping around for soil and such anyway. And the tray is just brown plastic, no terracotta here
    So fertilizer huh? I suppose it had to come some day. I was looking at some the other day, but I'll do some reading on it. Nothing against fertilizing, I've just always been nervous to try in fear of frying my plants.
    And thanks for the compliments guys, I've always loved the trunk. Gives it a palm tree kinda look. :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maneatingmoo View Post
    I'll repot shortly for sure then, been shopping around for soil and such anyway. And the tray is just brown plastic, no terracotta here
    So fertilizer huh? I suppose it had to come some day. I was looking at some the other day, but I'll do some reading on it. Nothing against fertilizing, I've just always been nervous to try in fear of frying my plants.
    And thanks for the compliments guys, I've always loved the trunk. Gives it a palm tree kinda look. :P
    Nothing to fear about feeding--just measure and never, ever guesstimate. Get a set of spoons that measure down to 1/4 tsp and an old milk jug and you're set to go. Low-tech and effective. You will be amazed at how fast your plants respond. Also, if you are foliar-feeding your dews with a mist bottle, you have no need to fear anything "burning the roots" because the fertilizer doesn't even come in contact with them.

Post us some pics in a few weeks =)
    Last edited by theplantman; 04-05-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's been a bit over a month since the repot, and I've given it some Maxsea 16-16-16 at 1/2 tsp to 1 gallon of water twice since then, through the soil bi-weekly. I'm beginning to grow concerned, because the plant's condition seems to have declined, if only slightly. Some leaves have browned at the edges and they have taken on a yellowish tinge.

In typing this post, I may have actually realized my error. For whatever reason, I did not foliar feed (as thrice recommended), but instead watered it with the fertilizer mixture. Just finished reading the Maxsea label, and there is indeed urea in it, which I also failed to consider in this plan. Brb, beating my head against the wall for not listening.
    Anyways, the damage is done. What can I do to reverse this decline? I'm thinking a little flushing of the soil would help, assuming I've found the real problem, but it's hard to trust my own opinion after that mistake.

Below is a picture I just grabbed, if it helps.
    Last edited by maneatingmoo; 05-25-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old exactly is the plant? Also, drosera are very sensitive to chemicals, I just feed mine bugs and bloodworms on the leaves. But yeah, drosera have limited life spans, this being your first carnivorous plant, I imagine it is a bit on the older side.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    How old exactly is the plant? Also, drosera are very sensitive to chemicals, I just feed mine bugs and bloodworms on the leaves. But yeah, drosera have limited life spans, this being your first carnivorous plant, I imagine it is a bit on the older side.
    In the first post it is mentioned that the plant is six years old. It would be interesting to see how old the oldest plants on this forum are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, roughly six years. I would agree that it could simply be reaching the end of its life, but I feel like that process would be much more gradual. This nose dive happened over just a couple weeks.
    I'm even inclined to say it's worsened over just two days, but that's likely me stressing and being fussy.

And that would be a very interesting thread Tanukimo
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am tempted to say that maybe the stem is too old to continue delivering vital substances like nutrients to the growing point. I have a ventricosa x alata that is over a decade old and some of the vines just declined and the growing points grew smaller and smaller. However others are still pitchering so I'm not sure if that is really a problem. Granted I'm not sure which growing points are the oldest, so it might actually be death due to old age.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep flushing the soil. Your opinion is right on this matter. There are very few Drosera which appreciate fertilization through the soil. Many if not most actually suffer from it.

At this point your choice of fertilizing via soil was probably the reason for the recent decline if not also root disturbance. At this stage, there's not a lot more root-disturbance that the plant will be able to take.

Another thing to consider is that the stalk could actually be rotted through completely dead and doesn't connect to any root structure. Simply squeezing the stem (extremely lightly) should give you an idea if or where there is a break in the stalk's living tissue so that it might not be transporting nutrients.

I have a D. capensis that is roughly the same age as yours and it has taken on a similar habit as yours albeit slightly more healthy still (It's only 5). I can say that if the root structure that you repotted seems to be hardy and thick enough then there is a very good chance that the roots will shoot up basals which can eventually become large trunks again with glorious rosetting trap leaves. Mine died back to basically nothing, almost less than what you have now due to a ravenous attack from aphids. The plant eventually re-grew from multiple basals and is still alive on a friend's windowsill.

I hope this helps. TLDR: Keep flushing
    Last edited by Dexenthes; 05-27-2014 at 12:06 AM.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast