Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My cranky old capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My cranky old capensis

Hey guys I don't stop in as often as I should these days, so much is on my plate lately. But I come with a predicament!
    This D. capensis was my first plant when I started growing roughly 6 years ago, and it seems its age is beginning to show. Its leaves used to span many times what they do now, and its overall health appears to be declining. I've never fertilized it (aside from a betta food pellet I may have tried on it), or done anything really special, but am willing to start if that will keep it happy. What do you guys think, is there a diagnosis to be derived from this photo and description? I can take more no problem, whatever helps find a fix. Would be real bummed to lose this guy.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That has got to be the tallest capensis I've ever seen. I would try to feed it more, since the general rule if you want larger plants is to feed or fertilize them. If it doesn't respond to that, maybe you could try making a stem cutting and repotting it.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would start with reporting it into new media. Tray watering, unless your water is truly zero ppm... Will definitely build up Tds. The water saucer looks terracotta? If so I would swap that for plastic since it was really help build up minerals. Good luck!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repot (won't affect size but will get your plant ready to accept fertilizer) + fertilizer (1/2 tsp per gallon of something like Miracle Gro, applied to foliage with spray bottle--treat once every 2 weeks if indoors). Use a complete fertilizer with micronutrients because by now you may have something other than N that is limiting its growth.

Very epically old plant--kudos for getting it that far along!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make sure the fertilizer is a urea free fertilizer. most orchid fertilizers are you re a free. It's the urea that gets converted into nitrogen and that burns the roots.
    Last edited by JB_OrchidGuy; 04-04-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could just try feeding it first . . .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acro View Post
    You could just try feeding it first . . .
    If the media has broken down at all during the plant's life, it may have released salts or other potential bad stuff. Thus, the feeding is more likely to cause burn if it's not first given new media.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely repot it, soon, and then keep an eye on it for a week or two. If nothing else suddenly goes wrong, you can give it a foliar dilute fertilizer (I suggest Maxsea, works on everything I have). definitely agree with adnedarn, get rid of the terra cotta and use plastic, as the only CP that I know of that like terra cotta is Drosophyllum, but that's because of low water needs (and therefore, less mineral buildup).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast