Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Growing Drosera Hamiltonii with petiolaris drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing Drosera Hamiltonii with petiolaris drosera

Hey I've heard that drosera hamiltonii is very heat tolerant and i was wondering if I could grow these plants alongside Petiolaris Drosera? If anyone has experience with this plant your advice would be appreciated!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if D. hamiltonii is heat tolerant but it certainly isn't drought tolerant. What are you going to do if your petiolaris go dormant and you have to let the substrate dry out?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.Burmanni, Spathulata, Indica, Banksii, lunata and peltata all grow with the petiolaris complex in the wild, so any of them would be fine, and tropical strains of peltata, also lunata, can happily grow without a dormancy for years, or be given a drought (as with petiolaris).

I have no experience with Hamiltonii, but I would image they would tolerate heat for part of the year but may need a cooler period in winter as they live in a much cooler region than the petiolaris complex.
    My understanding of their environment is that Hamiltonii can get days as hot as 35-38C on occasion, but predominantly get much cooler days of 25-30C in summer and frost in winter, much like Cephalotus.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    D.Burmanni, Spathulata, Indica, Banksii, lunata and peltata all grow with the petiolaris complex in the wild, so any of them would be fine, and tropical strains of peltata, also lunata, can happily grow without a dormancy for years, or be given a drought (as with petiolaris).

I have no experience with Hamiltonii, but I would image they would tolerate heat for part of the year but may need a cooler period in winter as they live in a much cooler region than the petiolaris complex.
    My understanding of their environment is that Hamiltonii can get days as hot as 35-38C on occasion, but predominantly get much cooler days of 25-30C in summer and frost in winter, much like Cephalotus.
    If tuberous sundews don't go dormant, how do they manage to keep catching insects? Don't they grow to a certain height and then stop growing until they come out of dormancy again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Lunata have not gone dormant in a few years, some plants I let go dormant but a few I have kept separate, they just get thicker stems and branch as opposed to climbing like a vine, they also make new tuber a lot quicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want your hamiltonii to bloom, it will need a cooler period not 'recommanded' for petiolaris.
    Also, the hamiltonii type I grow cannot sustains as much light as other drosera can so you could end up roasting them too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... my idea was brought upon by the sundew man video on the species. In the video he mentioned that the species has been really heat tolerant for him heres the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYx3ziDQWA