Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Repotting "Magic"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repotting "Magic"

I repotted my pot of Drosera venusta a few weeks ago when the pot got so crowded that there was nowhere to top-water from. Here's what they looked like shortly before I repotted:

Today I found that all of the Drosera venusta I repotted in a new pot are sending up flower stalks:

I've had this plant for half a year and it has never flowered for me until now, so I can't help but think that it had to do with being repotted. What I found weird was that even though my plants didn't flower at all in the preceding months, they still managed to fill the pot they were in with new seedlings. And I even found a Drosera binata I didn't know was there before.
    Last edited by Tanukimo; 04-15-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: fixed picture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice sundews, very interesting! it could be from the repotting and also from seasonal change, its been hot lately and the days have gotten longer too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like above post said it is most likely due to season change
    BUT my sp floating did the same thing. didnt flower for the two years I had it. looked healthy and lush but 0 flowers, I repotted it and it shot up a single 6 bud stalk a week or so later
    maybe it enjoys what little nutrients are in the new peat
    could separate one in a new pot, give it a few osmocote indoor and outdoor pellets and see how it responds
    D. regia love them, I plan on separating an sp floating and madagascarensis soon to try this as well , like regia these are the only other two species I have that dont flower for me and need what seems like unnatural amounts of food when growing in strictly peat/perlite or sand

could also try adding extra perlite. maybe it is respond to less compacted roots from the repotting
    Last edited by Ras; 04-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.