What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Binata Dichotoma giant root cuttings

Hello guys and gals hope this new season brings about some great growth for us I'm excited. I've taken a few losses over this harsh winter. I'm attempting to save my D. Binata Dichotoma. The hibernacula rotted on me and I was wondering if at all I can propagate this plant using the roots. There is still some white left inside if them. If so how do I go about doing so and getting them to grow?

I keep this plant outside in my bogs in Boston all winter. While the growth points die off, the plants always grow back from the roots. Just replant them and they should be fine.

I keep this plant outside in my bogs in Boston all winter. While the growth points die off, the plants always grow back from the roots. Just replant them and they should be fine.
So I can just plant the individual roots into the soil and they'll start growing?

Yup. I would have recommended that you not dig them up and just leave them be but I see it's a bit late for that.

Yup. I would have recommended that you not dig them up and just leave them be but I see it's a bit late for that.

Hahaha I kinda panicked since I lost like 3 Sarrs. I have a D. binata Multifida that I won't dig up. Do I completely burry the roots? Or leave a little sticking out?

D.b.multifida is more tropical. That one may be a goner.

Lay the roots out horizontally when you cover them as this seems to stimulate offshooting .

Fret not my friend. I have a few spares of binata. If they cash out let me know and I will send you some stuff.

Lay the roots out horizontally when you cover them as this seems to stimulate offshooting .

Do I just lay them on top of the soil uncovered or do I burry them horizontally

Fret not my friend. I have a few spares of binata. If they cash out let me know and I will send you some stuff.

Thanks a ton J. That is greatly appreciated I've lost a lot of stuff this winter. I was afraid of stuff drying out and over watered. I've definitely learned my lesson

Do I just lay them on top of the soil uncovered or do I burry them horizontally

You want them covered. The Binata/Dichotoma complex dies down to the root if it gets cold enough. Most will survive frost but probably not the pot freezing solid. They are about as hardy as D. capensis and the fertile ones about as invasive/weedy :p

You want them covered. The Binata/Dichotoma complex dies down to the root if it gets cold enough. Most will survive frost but probably not the pot freezing solid. They are about as hardy as D. capensis and the fertile ones about as invasive/weedy :p

I potted those roots up this morning. Covered them with about 1/8 inch of peat:sand mix in a water tray. Now it's just the waiting game right?

Yup :-D :water:

I've got some spare "extrema" if they don't make it. But binata are a pretty hardy bunch.

Yup :-D :water:

I've got some spare "extrema" if they don't make it. But binata are a pretty hardy bunch.
Man you guys are the best!!!!!! Thanks a ton I hope they strike I liked this plant lol

Yes, they are very hardy. My Extrema spent all winter outside and only had one leaf wilt incident due to cold. Definitely weedy, mine send up new plantlets all the time. Right now I have two Extremas that sent off shoots through the bottom pot holes so the plants are growing underwater in the water tray.

Back