Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battered Drosera regia

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a related note:

What kind of lighting do you guys use? Why can I not get this species to grow with any sort of vigor or strength? No matter what the plant just doesn't increase in leaf size or rate of growth.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. regia in my experience won't grow unless regularly fed.
    The roots of this species grow rather deep, so taller pots are best.
    I never found it to be particularly fussy, unless over fertilized. Seems to grow best under bright light. Since it is a sundew afterall..
    Root cuttings are best for propagation. Just be sure to leave the largest root behind for the mother plant. As re-rooting a severed head can be more difficult with regia than most drosera.
    I agree completely with Mark's root prop technique. Dead LFS works best for this method. I took root cuttings of my last plant the day it arrived, and one month later:

Last edited by mass; 04-27-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is humidity a key component to starting Drosera root cuttings or just a high water level?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Is humidity a key component to starting Drosera root cuttings or just a high water level?
    yes to both..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    On a related note:

What kind of lighting do you guys use? Why can I not get this species to grow with any sort of vigor or strength? No matter what the plant just doesn't increase in leaf size or rate of growth.
    I use 4 48" T5 florescents at about a foot above the plants for lighting. I've also had some luck growing them out of doors in one of my bog pots but the low-20's temps this winter have probably put an end to that. I don't know why they have often seemed delicate to me but I agree that feeding is important.
    Last edited by bluemax; 04-27-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12