Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Robster_24's Carnivorous Plants

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that when I've received plants grown under lower lights than my conditions their new growth is redder, and also smaller, same as you. I've seen this in 3 or 4 different species, and it just seems to be the plant's response to high light. I worried about it at first, but as long as the plant continues putting out new leaves it's probably fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see... hopefully it will start growing bigger and its not going dormant. I don't think this should happen though, my conditions are no lower than 70 at night and 95 to 110 daytime. I have the plants in humidity domes for now before I can acclimate them to lower humidity.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacks View Post
    I've noticed that when I've received plants grown under lower lights than my conditions their new growth is redder, and also smaller, same as you. I've seen this in 3 or 4 different species, and it just seems to be the plant's response to high light. I worried about it at first, but as long as the plant continues putting out new leaves it's probably fine.
    I agree. Higher light levels usually cause some decrease in leaf size in Drosera. Notice how the petioles on the leaves that have grown in your conditions have a darker color to them. I'd say the plant is adapting to higher light conditions and is doing fine. Since it is a small, immature plant I would expect it will continue to get larger overall with time. It looks very healthy to me.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, it does look fine and I'll continue to hope for the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, I cut the off-set on my D. Paradoxa and I hope the plantlet will root itself and survive!

You can see that the mother plant has sent out roots under the new growth, I think I'll raise the soil up to the new growth to cover up those roots.

Last edited by Robster_24; 05-02-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That plantlet developed very quickly.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know its only a week or two old! but the mother was growing really slow as it grew so I guess all the energy went into the plantlet's deveopment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob

I think you may be right about the leaves being smaller when they have bright light, makes sence to me, just like if plants are staved for light they grow real tall trying to get more light.

Maybe off topic but, I grow flytraps outdoors year round in full sun, and I have seen some grown in greenhouses that are redder than mine, so I think there is more to the coloring than just the amount of light.
    Last edited by orlenz; 05-07-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast