Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera Soil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use strait up peat moss. If bad stuff grows in it even after washing I microwave it. Any nasty thing that survives that deserves the potting media
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a variety depending on the plants, burmanni, indica and spathulata are all happy in spag slurries, pure sand or peat/sand for me, petiolaris and dilato are happy in peat/sand or spag/sand or peat/perlite, I have not tried pure sand.
    My capensis thrive in dried spag/perlite and in 3sand/1peat.
    Others (like my prolifera and adelae) love pure live spag and spag/perlite or spag/basalt.
    Can't say about regia as its to hot here so the plant I tried cooked to death after a few weeks and never recovered(odd as the small darlingtonia near it is still going well)

Petiolaris like high humidity, so keep the seeds humid, but once they are older they are happy as low as %40 for me and temps from 5C to 40C are fine (I would keep young plants above 15C at first but.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Petiolaris Complex I go with LFS, mainly:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one medium I would add is the so-called 'premium peat'. It seems to be taken from a median layer in the bog between the long-fibered sphagnum and the standard dark peat. It is much coarser and provides for a lighter soil mix. I sometimes use it mixed with a small amount of sand. It is much more expensive than standard peat and generally must be bought online but it has its place. 'Less dense than peat also less airy than lfs.

I generally grow petiolaris sundews in peat and a relatively high percentage of sand.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12