What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera CAPENSIS in California?

Gs'Cps

BANNED
Hello!
I have recently learned that there are some colony's of capensis in the United States. Specifically in California, medocino county. I had always presumed they were confined to grow wildly in South Africa. (Except in our pots of cps!) If anyone could shed some light on this or has pics I'm sure I and others would enjoy it thanks!

Hmmm... Maybe they are an invasive specie...

Interesting apparently they are removing the non-native plants and donating them to "the University of California" though im not sure which one.

You're thinking of the Albion Bog which for years had become a dumping site for Carnivorous Plants when someone noticed it was the perfect environment for many plants. The site is managed now by the Nature Conservancy and is not open to public as it is one of the few Pygmy Forest sites in CA. The Nature Conservancy has been managing the non-indigenous CPs (e.g. removing and destroying). Native species like D. rotundifolia are in danger of being displaced by invasive species like D. capensis. The only saving grace is that the winters are cold enough to keep D. capensis from spreading rapidly.

Check the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society's website and back issues of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. They contain trip reports on the Albion Bog..

Interesting apparently they are removing the non-native plants and donating them to "the University of California" though im not sure which one.

Only a few plants were saved during the initial "cleanup". After that all introduced or invasive plants are destroyed.

I've heard that Drosera peltata and even Drosera regia have also been naturalized from a BACPS member. I would really like to see pictures of it in its present state, even if it is not possible to visit.

If I ever go to CA I'll see if they need a volunteer experienced in non-native plant removal.

I've heard that Drosera peltata and even Drosera regia have also been naturalized from a BACPS member. I would really like to see pictures of it in its present state, even if it is not possible to visit.

This implies that the person who did it is known. If so I'm curious. Does the BACPS allow this person to remain as a member?

I thought it was not natural too bad I hope the rotundifolias don't get smothered by those huge capensis!

Even if they did remove the plants the seed is probably everywhere! once you have a capensis you have em for good!

This implies that the person who did it is known. If so I'm curious. Does the BACPS allow this person to remain as a member?

I'm pretty it was more than one person who did it. In fact, an issue of CPN lists some names, but those people are still a part of the BACPS.

If I ever go to CA I'll see if they need a volunteer experienced in non-native plant removal.

+1
I'd love to have a word with the #%*! who thought introducing these weeds into the bog was a good idea >:-(

Here's another thread on the decision to remove all the non-native plants that were possible.

+1
I'd love to have a word with the #%*! who thought introducing these weeds into the bog was a good idea >:-(
There were several years when even people who would never introduce CP into other habitats, would plant something (or sow CP seeds) in Albion. This particular bog had it's own twisted paradigm with it's own rules.

Barry has mentioned in other posts that examples like Albion color the perceptions of all CP enthusiasts in the eyes of conservationists. There have been examples of site conservation meetings (of native CP sites) where CP people were either deliberately excluded or who's input was valued less when their outside interests became common knowledge.

Last edited:
Here's another thread on the decision to remove all the non-native plants that were possible.

There were several years when even people who would never introduce CP into other habitats, would plant something (or sow CP seeds) in Albion. This particular bog had it's own twisted paradigm with it's own rules.

Barry has mentioned in other posts that examples like Albion color the perceptions of all CP enthusiasts in the eyes of conservationists. There have been examples of site conservation meetings (of native CP sites) where CP people were either deliberately excluded or who's input was valued less when their outside interests became common knowledge.
Given the opinion of some folks in the community that this is in some way "cool", I don't blame those charged with fixing the problem for treating members of our community as pariahs. A while back I posted a hypothetical thread asking folks what they thought I should do if I were to discover one of the legendary populations of VFTs that have been allegedly introduced into the NJ pine barrens. The replies ran the gamut, but I was truly discouraged by the number of folks who thought it would be a good thing to find them, and those who were worried that I would "poach" them. I suppose it they were B52s, Akai Ryus or something else unusual the idea would cross my mind, but I'd be far more likely to grind them into the ground and move on.

Given the opinion of some folks in the community that this is in some way "cool", I don't blame those charged with fixing the problem for treating members of our community as pariahs. A while back I posted a hypothetical thread asking folks what they thought I should do if I were to discover one of the legendary populations of VFTs that have been allegedly introduced into the NJ pine barrens. The replies ran the gamut, but I was truly discouraged by the number of folks who thought it would be a good thing to find them, and those who were worried that I would "poach" them. I suppose it they were B52s, Akai Ryus or something else unusual the idea would cross my mind, but I'd be far more likely to grind them into the ground and move on.

I took a look at that thread and granted, you do say "collect" in your first post.

Indeed I did! I guess it shows how my tastes/situation have changed. I have several typical VFTs that I'll probably be moving out as I get cultivars that interest me more. I made the post when I was very new to the forum, and I admit it was a kind of loaded question to get a feel for things. To put it bluntly, you can't poach a plant that is someplace it doesn't belong, you can only do the good deed of removing it. My feelings on the introduction of non-native plants, particularly into areas as sensitive as bogs haven't changed. Hopefully the feelings of some others have.

Back