Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera CAPENSIS in California?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was not natural too bad I hope the rotundifolias don't get smothered by those huge capensis!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if they did remove the plants the seed is probably everywhere! once you have a capensis you have em for good!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    This implies that the person who did it is known. If so I'm curious. Does the BACPS allow this person to remain as a member?
    I'm pretty it was more than one person who did it. In fact, an issue of CPN lists some names, but those people are still a part of the BACPS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever go to CA I'll see if they need a volunteer experienced in non-native plant removal.
    +1
    I'd love to have a word with the #%*! who thought introducing these weeds into the bog was a good idea >

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another thread on the decision to remove all the non-native plants that were possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    +1
    I'd love to have a word with the #%*! who thought introducing these weeds into the bog was a good idea >
    There were several years when even people who would never introduce CP into other habitats, would plant something (or sow CP seeds) in Albion. This particular bog had it's own twisted paradigm with it's own rules.

Barry has mentioned in other posts that examples like Albion color the perceptions of all CP enthusiasts in the eyes of conservationists. There have been examples of site conservation meetings (of native CP sites) where CP people were either deliberately excluded or who's input was valued less when their outside interests became common knowledge.
    Last edited by RL7836; 05-16-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Here's another thread on the decision to remove all the non-native plants that were possible.

There were several years when even people who would never introduce CP into other habitats, would plant something (or sow CP seeds) in Albion. This particular bog had it's own twisted paradigm with it's own rules.

Barry has mentioned in other posts that examples like Albion color the perceptions of all CP enthusiasts in the eyes of conservationists. There have been examples of site conservation meetings (of native CP sites) where CP people were either deliberately excluded or who's input was valued less when their outside interests became common knowledge.
    Given the opinion of some folks in the community that this is in some way "cool", I don't blame those charged with fixing the problem for treating members of our community as pariahs. A while back I posted a hypothetical thread asking folks what they thought I should do if I were to discover one of the legendary populations of VFTs that have been allegedly introduced into the NJ pine barrens. The replies ran the gamut, but I was truly discouraged by the number of folks who thought it would be a good thing to find them, and those who were worried that I would "poach" them. I suppose it they were B52s, Akai Ryus or something else unusual the idea would cross my mind, but I'd be far more likely to grind them into the ground and move on.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the opinion of some folks in the community that this is in some way "cool", I don't blame those charged with fixing the problem for treating members of our community as pariahs. A while back I posted a hypothetical thread asking folks what they thought I should do if I were to discover one of the legendary populations of VFTs that have been allegedly introduced into the NJ pine barrens. The replies ran the gamut, but I was truly discouraged by the number of folks who thought it would be a good thing to find them, and those who were worried that I would "poach" them. I suppose it they were B52s, Akai Ryus or something else unusual the idea would cross my mind, but I'd be far more likely to grind them into the ground and move on.
    I took a look at that thread and granted, you do say "collect" in your first post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed I did! I guess it shows how my tastes/situation have changed. I have several typical VFTs that I'll probably be moving out as I get cultivars that interest me more. I made the post when I was very new to the forum, and I admit it was a kind of loaded question to get a feel for things. To put it bluntly, you can't poach a plant that is someplace it doesn't belong, you can only do the good deed of removing it. My feelings on the introduction of non-native plants, particularly into areas as sensitive as bogs haven't changed. Hopefully the feelings of some others have.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12