Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera CAPENSIS in California?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Drosera CAPENSIS in California?

Hello!
    I have recently learned that there are some colony's of capensis in the United States. Specifically in California, medocino county. I had always presumed they were confined to grow wildly in South Africa. (Except in our pots of cps!) If anyone could shed some light on this or has pics I'm sure I and others would enjoy it thanks!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... Maybe they are an invasive specie...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting apparently they are removing the non-native plants and donating them to "the University of California" though im not sure which one.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're thinking of the Albion Bog which for years had become a dumping site for Carnivorous Plants when someone noticed it was the perfect environment for many plants. The site is managed now by the Nature Conservancy and is not open to public as it is one of the few Pygmy Forest sites in CA. The Nature Conservancy has been managing the non-indigenous CPs (e.g. removing and destroying). Native species like D. rotundifolia are in danger of being displaced by invasive species like D. capensis. The only saving grace is that the winters are cold enough to keep D. capensis from spreading rapidly.

Check the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society's website and back issues of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. They contain trip reports on the Albion Bog..
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robster_24 View Post
    Interesting apparently they are removing the non-native plants and donating them to "the University of California" though im not sure which one.
    Only a few plants were saved during the initial "cleanup". After that all introduced or invasive plants are destroyed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that Drosera peltata and even Drosera regia have also been naturalized from a BACPS member. I would really like to see pictures of it in its present state, even if it is not possible to visit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever go to CA I'll see if they need a volunteer experienced in non-native plant removal.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    I've heard that Drosera peltata and even Drosera regia have also been naturalized from a BACPS member. I would really like to see pictures of it in its present state, even if it is not possible to visit.
    This implies that the person who did it is known. If so I'm curious. Does the BACPS allow this person to remain as a member?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast