What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regia Recovery

Hi all

I received a D. Regia in the post a few weeks ago and it got really damaged by the courier company :-( I potted the plant and stuck it in my Terrarium to try and boost the recovery process.. It's loving the new environment! :banana2:

IMG_20140603_070301.jpg

Great reovery! What are using for lighting and how tall are the pots?

Great reovery! What are using for lighting and how tall are the pots?

Thanks! I'm really glad it pulled through

I'm using an OSRAM Dulux EL HO 65W CFL bulb.
Specs are:
Lumens: 4200
Color Rendering: 80
Color Temp: 2700 - 6500K
Run up time: 3min

The pot the Regia is in is about 13 - 14 cm tall.

Last edited:
Nice recovery! I had one but I accidentally damaged it and I think it is dead. Are you just using long-fibered sphagnum?

Nice recovery! I had one but I accidentally damaged it and I think it is dead. Are you just using long-fibered sphagnum?
Aww crud--so the backpack regia didn't make it? That's a shame, man--I was rooting for it!!

Sorry to hear that. Did you damage the roots as well? You might still have a chance to save it?

My Regia is actually grown in a peat/silica sand mix and sphagnum on top. Live Sphagnum is super scarce here in South Africa. You can't buy the stuff from any supplier that I am aware of. I only got the sphagnum because It came with the plant. "Holding thumbs that sphagnum grows like crazy"

Last edited:
why grow it under lights and not outside,congrats on the recovery:-D

why grow it under lights and not outside,congrats on the recovery:-D

I will eventually grow it outside with my other sundews (Capensis, Binata and such) Just wanted to make sure it had optimal growing conditions to recover in.

Cheers.

cool,that makes sense ,i find them tougher than some make out,mine got frozen last winter and died back under the surface ,but now are coming back with serious attitude

cool,that makes sense ,i find them tougher than some make out,mine got frozen last winter and died back under the surface ,but now are coming back with serious attitude

haha, nice. The whole experience probably made it stronger

These plants definitely need seasonal cues (winter temperatures mainly) for long term growth. I was growing mine indoors, after three years they were noticeably declining. I moved them outdoors and after the first winter they more than doubled their size.

These plants definitely need seasonal cues (winter temperatures mainly) for long term growth. I was growing mine indoors, after three years they were noticeably declining. I moved them outdoors and after the first winter they more than doubled their size.

Hi, thanks for sharing. I've subsequently moved mine out of the terrarium and it's now growing with my other sundews outside during the day and I bring them in during the night, temp drop in my flat is about 15 degrees Celsius. We are having a bit of a cold spell so I don't want to keep them outside at night during this time.

Back